I Spy

Chapter 5

Miranda

I stand with my arms crossed and my hip canted to the side. Annoyed. Sam comes rushing my way with a huge grin on her face. I can't help but smile slightly. "You made it." She grab my hands and pull me into her. I gasp in reaction. It's been a few weeks and we were still doing this 'taking it slow' thing. However, I take in her body greedily. I throw my arms around her neck and her hand encircle my waist. I wanted to bury my face in her neck, take in her scent, and kiss her.

Someone clears their throat. It's Tessa.

Tessa hasn't said much to me since that day. But, I knew everything there was to know about her. I look her up and down in disgust and she gives me a smile. Tessa was an average girl with nothing on her record for me to use against her. She loved dogs and was in a horrible pageant when she was five. Everything about her made me want to puke.

Sam rips away from me and she's blushing. "Sorry." She tells me. I roll my eyes. She gives my hip a squeeze and then I follow her towards the table. I decided to not say anything about the conversation Tessa and I had.

It was pointless.

This was about Sam and me getting better and even though it would be satisfying to see Tessa life destroyed. I didn't have time for hobbies at the moment. I'm escorted to the table and there is Nathalie, Rose, and Austin.

Sam told me earlier in the week that she wanted me to come and help with the children. We were all helping to raise funds for the city after school care. I didn't mind donating but usually I would write a check. However, Sam wanted me to come and see firsthand.

I was seriously overdressed but I ignore all the eyes that is on me. "Austin." I say calmly. He jumps up instantly and rushes over to me. "Coffee." I tell him. He look around the small gym and look back at the others before muttering, "I'll be back."

"Bring me..." Rose starts.

"No." Austin cuts her off. He grab his jacket and ignore the pout on her face.

"You're going anyway."

"It's my job."

Rose snorts, "Whatever." She then lean more into Nathalie.

I take a seat at the end of the table and pull out my phone. I begin to check emails and several minutes pass before a cup of coffee is being placed in front of me. I take a few small sips. A woman come in and go over the event agenda. "The little kids are excited to paint. I hope you guys are wearing clothes you don't love."

Everyone look at me and I look down at myself and shrug. "I told you to dress casual." Austin mutters to me. I roll my eyes. I was casual. I was wearing a grey blouse and a pair of black jeans with my blue wedges. Everyone else in the room was wearing t-shirts and shorts. It was pathetic. It looked like they all just jumped out of bed and went by their day.

The doors burst open and small children run into the gym screaming at the top of their lungs. We are split into groups and everything happens so fast. Before I know it I'm being pulled in different directions. I'm playing hide and seek and then painting.

"Look!" One of the little girls scream. "It's a butterfly." She grins. She was wearing a blue shirt and a pair of bright red shorts that had ice-cream cones all over them in variety of colors.

I examine the picture and say, "It's beautiful."

She smiles widely and she's missing a front tooth. Her hair is hanging wildly at her shoulders. "Shane loves butterflies." She rambles while talking. She paints in different directions and paint is getting everywhere. I direct her.