Chapter 33 Savannah

This morning has been different, it feels like a typical Saturday morning. Dad had made breakfast which normally would be fine. If it wasn't for his nervous and jittery behavior. He constantly sneaks at the door, checking his phone. He poured too much cream into his coffee spilling it on the table.

"Shit!"He cursed out loud. "Sorry Baby girl I'm all over the place."

"I noticed dad, it's fine." I wanted to ask so bad, what was wrong? Every nerve in my body was telling me I already knew what was going on. "Hey, Dad?"

"Hmm?"

"Have you spoken to Karen?" I wanted to see his reaction. I wanted to know if what I was thinking was true. He has to know.

He stopped mixing the eggs, and at this same moment, Justin walked into the kitchen immediately picking up on the intensity. Dad still hasn't answered my question which led me to believe he knew more. Eventually, he answered. "No, I haven't '" His tone was clipped and emotionless.

Again I wanted to ask, I wanted to know why he was lying to me. Instead, I nodded and continued to eat. Justin noticed my disappointment just like he noticed my dad's odd behavior.  "Hey, Mr.Johnson you missed a good game last night." He tries to change the subject. Dad is grateful for the topic his mood immediately relaxes. I smiled at Justin appreciative, because he knew what to do without me saying anything. Justin was about to speak again and the doorbell rang cutting him off.  Curious as to who could be at the door. I went to answer.

"Josh?" I asked honestly curious as to why he was at my house.

"Hi  Savannah" He gave me a genuine comforting smile. Which weirdly relaxed me. "Sorry I know it's early but I need to speak with you and Craig."

I was getting ready to get my dad based on the urgency of his voice, but when I looked into his eyes there was something familiar about them. Almost identical. How didn't I notice them before at the dinner? Taking in his appearance, his cheekbones. He resembles everything about her. I was frozen in space, and couldn't move. Everything I was thinking, and if he is here and she's not that means it is true. Finally finding my voice. "She isn't coming back is she?"My hands began to tremble, my heart was pounding against my chest.

He looked so broken. I know he didn't want to tell me. He could see my heart-shattering. "Savannah I'm so sorry. I didn't want to meet you under these circumstances."

"Savannah who was at the do-" My dad stops his sentence when he notices my current appearance. "Honey, what is going on ?" He rushes over to me and then looks at Josh. "Why are you here? What did you say to her?"

"She knew Craig, I came to tell you two together. Savannah answered the door and pieced everything together. I swear Craig I wouldn't have just told her."

I couldn't hear anything anymore. All I could hear was her over and over

" I love you bumblebee" 

"I won't leave you again"

It was all a lie, everything she said. Why did I go to that diner?

"Banana?" Justin's voice started breaking through. "Banana listening to my voice, you having a panic attack. I need you to breathe for me.  Can you hear my voice?" I nodded not being able to use my words. "Let's count okay 1, 2 breathe easy."

I caught my breath as Justin held on to me. As I tried to calm down my rage overcame and took over. I pushed Justin off, his shocked expression. "Don't touch me, you encouraged me, convinced me. This time would be different. How could I be so stupid." His reaction was hurt just for a few seconds and remorse took over.