×THIRTY-ONE×

The following morning air held a suffocating feeling of anxiety, making both you and Hiccup wish that this was not a conversation of importance. Due to the urgency of this situation, Hiccup had taken the day away from his Chieftain duties to ensure things went smoothly with your father. And seeing as Stoick had passed, the assumption was that you needed a guardian, but as to why left you baffled. So, in place of his late father, Hiccup invited Valka to join the two of you in this marital conflict.

"Are we all ready?" You asked, clipping on a fur coat to fight the oncoming harsh winds that began to blow through the unpleasant morning. "As ready as we'll ever be, love." Hiccup reassuringly responded, resting a hand on your shoulder in an attempt to quell your nerves. It didn't help much, but you smiled appreciatively nonetheless. "Well if you're both ready, I suggest we leave now before the winds get too harsh," Valka said, tightening the saddlebags attached to Cloudjumper's saddle. You nodded, planting a kiss on Hiccup's cheek before turning to mount Astra. He caught your wrist, turning you to face him as he slid his other hand around your waist and kissed you. When he pulled back, he rested his forehead against your own. "We're going to be fine," he said, his voice betraying his uncertainty, "there will be no marriage arranged today."

"If you two are finished snogging over there, could we get a move on?" You jumped, startled by the teasing tone in Valka's voice. Hiccup rolled his eyes, making his way over to Toothless, laughing to himself. He sure had an embarrassing mother. And with that, the three of you mounted your dragons and began the hour-long journey towards your old village. "May I ask, why would your father arrange a marriage for you?" Valka asked, trying to pry into the nobleman's mind. "Well, I'm his only child. He and my mother made it abundantly clear when I was little that I was a miracle child. They never once were able to conceive, but after praying to their God, they had me," you paused, hoping your parent's beliefs wouldn't offend Hiccup and Valka, "and no matter how hard they tried after my birth, they could not conceive more children."

"How does that play into the arrangement?" Valka pressed, deeply intrigued. "Women in their faith are seen as property and care for the house and children as a wife and a mother. When nobility and royalty are added to that, women become bargaining rights for peace and land claims. My mother was lucky to have known my father in their early years of life because they had once loved each other beforehand. Not many women are as lucky. If this marriage goes through, I will have to leave you all behind, abandon Astra, and serve my husband for the rest of my life." You smiled a sombre smile, shaking your head.

"But I'm letting myself hope that we can convince my father otherwise. Viking women do so much and can lead lives of their own without the need of a husband. Not that I am against someday marrying someone, but the rights women are given on Berk are amazing and I'm grateful for that." The familiar landmass began to come I to view. "I'm so sorry," Valka started, but you chuckled. "It's okay. I have a better chance now in convincing him to cancel the arrangement with you both here, rather than facing this alone."

Mother and son looked at each other, worried looks across their faces. There was no denying that the fate you were faced with was rather disgusting. They could only hope that they could free you, but they each felt a sense of uneasiness and dread as if things were about to turn upside down.

You landed Astra in the town square, dismounting and greeting the people going about their daily lives. Despite their cheery "hello's", whispers were flowing through the crowd, who had heard the rumours that Sir James, your father, had finally arranged a marriage for his only child, something he should have done four years ago if it weren't for the fact everyone thought you had died at the age of five. Astra followed you as you made your way towards your childhood home, Hiccup and Valka not far behind. Outside the house, was your mother, tending to her rose garden. When she saw you and Astra, she squealed in delight, rushing over to greet you with a pampering of kisses and a great big hug. "By God Almighty! You're really here!" She pulled back, her hands on your shoulders to keep you at arm's length.

"My God, you're so beautiful! You remind me of my youthful days." You grew hot under her gaze, uncomfortable and embarrassed by the woman you had not seen in twelve years. "Where is father?" You asked, taking a glance back at Hiccup to try and find some strength. The way the corner of his mouth twitched upwards, trying to make him give you a comforting smile, gave you a surge of hope. You then brought your attention back to your mother. "He's inside. Come, your friends too. We can talk about everything once we're away from prying eyes." You nodded, gesturing for your company to follow. "As for the...dragons," she paused, looking at them with a mix of fear and disgust, "they can stay outside. I will not have reptilian Neander—"

"Mother," you cut her off, "we understand your views on dragons are not the same, but I would appreciate you holding your tongue when it comes to personal opinions on this subject." She nodded, realising she misspoke, and lead the three of you inside. Now it was time to face the mastermind behind this all.

Your father.