×THIRTY×

Again, it had been another month that had passed. Hiccup was adjusting to Chieftain duties pretty well. You think Astrid scared him at first, making him think he'd have little to no time for you or Toothless, but that wasn't true. He always found extra time for himself. And Astra was seriously warming up to Toothless now. You'd have to talk with the Alphas at some point to have their blessing, so she could bind with Toothless. However, this fine morning, you were panicking. During that previous month, you and Hiccup had officially gotten together. If the kiss wasn't an indication of that, I don't know what was. You both helped each other with the loss of Stoick, mostly you helping Hiccup, and there really was something between the two of you. Yes, admittedly, neither of you had exactly said "I love you." yet, but you had plenty of time to say it. So what was the rush?

Well, that rush had come that morning. A pigeon had flown in, heading to the Haddock household. You recognised pigeons as a means of contact back in your home village, as pigeons were not common birds on the cold Isles of Berk. And sure enough, there was a note attached to the pigeon's leg. The small bird perched itself on the windowsill, awaiting some form of payment. You recognised the seal on it as your father's and opened it.

𝔐𝔶 𝔡𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔢𝔰𝔱 (𝔫𝔞𝔪𝔢), 𝔪𝔶 𝔬𝔫𝔩𝔶 𝔡𝔞𝔲𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔢𝔯, 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔩𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔬𝔣 𝔪𝔶 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢.

ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔴𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔬 𝔞𝔰𝔨 𝔬𝔣 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔱𝔬 𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔢 𝔟𝔞𝔠𝔨 𝔱𝔬 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔡 𝔣𝔞𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯. ℑ 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔠𝔲𝔰𝔰 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔦𝔪𝔭𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔞𝔫𝔱 𝔪𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔬𝔣 𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞 𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔞𝔤𝔢 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔶𝔬𝔲. 𝔅𝔢 𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔯𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔟𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔟𝔬𝔶 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲. ℌ𝔦𝔠𝔠𝔲𝔭, 𝔴𝔞𝔰𝔫'𝔱 𝔦𝔱? 𝔄𝔫𝔡 𝔭𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔟𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔥𝔢 ℭ𝔥𝔦𝔢𝔣 𝔞𝔩𝔬𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔬𝔬.

ℑ 𝔱𝔯𝔲𝔩𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔦𝔩𝔩𝔢𝔡 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱 ℑ 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔡.
𝔐𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔩𝔬𝔳𝔢, 𝔪𝔶 𝔡𝔞𝔯𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔡𝔢𝔞𝔯. ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔢𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔰𝔬𝔬𝔫.

- 𝔖𝔦𝔯 𝔍𝔞𝔪𝔢𝔰 (𝔖𝔲𝔯𝔫𝔞𝔪𝔢)

You were at a loss for words. Your father wanted to arrange a marriage for you. He didn't know you and Hiccup were together, and now due to that, he was going to arrange a marriage for you with someone else. The world seemed to crumble around you, and you didn't even notice Hiccup enter the room. "(Name), love, are you alright?" He asked, wrapping his arms around your waist and pulling your back against his torso. Your head dropped as you held up the note for him to read. He grabbed it, one arm still around you. He furrowed his brows at the note, then handed it back to you. "I can't read that."

You thought he was joking until you remembered that here on Berk, they used runes. You had forgotten there was a difference in the written languages, as your father's handwriting flowed in cursive words, whilst the Vikings on Berk wrote in runes. "It's a note from my father. He wants us to go visit him as...he...he has decided he wishes to arrange a marriage for me." You felt him pull you closer, both arms wound around your waist again, and his face buried in your neck. "Oh, gods...does that mean we...?" You started to tremble, not wishing to think of what was to come. "No, I won't let that happen." He stated firmly. "We'll go, but I'm telling him right then and there that there will be no wedding."

You smiled a little and tilted your head back to lean it against his shoulder. "That's sweet, Hic. But...I don't think that'll change his decision." He spun you around and cupped your cheek with one hand. You leant into the touch and closed your eyes. "Hey. Believe me, you're not the only one upset at this news. But please, trust me. We can change his mind."

You could see the determination burning in his eyes. This situation was becoming so messy. Your father would be stubborn in his decision to have you be wed to someone, and now Hiccup would be fighting to have you by his side. Your eyes skimmed the note again, and your lips turned downwards into a frown. "He asks for Stoick, in this letter. I realise now, that we haven't kept in contact with him for a while now. He doesn't know what happened to us in this past month." You saw him grimace, knowing that losing his father had seriously taken a toll on him. However, he recovered quickly and began thinking. "Well, I guess we could take mom. She has been helping me with my duties, plus I'm sure she will help convince him that marrying you off to someone isn't such a good idea."

You smiled, leaning in to kiss him, and turned when the pigeon on the windowsill cooed. "Right, the payment." You put the note aside, and held your finger out, letting the small bird hop onto your finger. "Could you go fetch a small bit of bread, love? He'll enjoy that." He gave the bird a confused look but left the room to get the bit of bread you requested. When he returned, you were giving the pigeon some good scritches on the head. "What kind of bird is that? I've never seen one like that anywhere in the Archipelago."

"Oh, this is a pigeon, Hic. They're seen as noble birds from my land. Ravens, crows and pigeons are all reputable birds there. They prefer the warmer weather, but our carrier pigeons are quite determined little feathered friends." You continued your head scritches, watching it get completely satisfied. "Oh yes, you are! Yes, you are!" Hiccup was truly mystified by your babying of this small bird but was intrigued. "Oh, yes, here's the bread, love." He said, holding out the small chunk of bread-y goodness. You smiled and gingerly took it, holding it out so the pigeon could grab it in one of its claws. Crumbs fell everywhere, but you didn't mind.

"Alright, little one. Back to where you came now." You said, moving your hand upwards. It jumped off your finger, flying through the window and beginning its long journey back to your father. You knew there wasn't much you could do, but you were hopeful that at least Hiccup was going to try. "Alright, love. We'll go tomorrow. No ifs, ands, or buts. It's better to get this sorted now, otherwise, we'll both get too anxious." He nodded and pulled you into a close embrace. "Anything for you, my love."