×TWENTY-FOUR×

"Mom, you'd never even recognise it. Where we used to make weapons, we now build saddles, wing slings, we-we even fix dragon teeth!" As Hiccup talked, he grabbed a few fish out of a basket, an eager Toothless and Astra hanging around, trying to pinch one. However, he closed the basket before they could shove their snouts in, and walked towards his parents. Astra huffed in annoyance and Tooth sulked. "You wouldn't believe how much everything's changed." You smiled, sitting beside Gobber as you watched Hiccup interact with his parents. You felt a nudge at your side and looked up at a winking Gobber. You groaned, face flushing as you playfully shoved the man. He responded with a laugh. "Your son's changed Berk for the better. I think we did well with this one, Val." There was a tinge of sarcasm in Hiccup's voice when he responded with a "Thanks, Dad." but no one could deny the fact that he had a smile on his face.

"Oh, whoa," Valka accidentally dropped the fish, Astra and Tooth racing to eat it. Cloudjumper was quicker, however, and ate the fish first. Tooth whined and Astra gave him sad eyes. He gave them both a look, before regurgitating his meal and letting the two Furies happily slurp up the half-eaten remains. "I'm, uh, a little out of practice," Valka admitted sheepishly. "Well, you know, I didn't marry you for your cooking." Hiccup took another plate of fish from his mother and made his way over to you, handing you the plate. You took some fish and passed the plate to Gobber. "I hope not," Gobber said, "her meatballs could kill more beasts than a battle axe. Still got a few knocking around in here." He leaned towards you, acting as if it were a secret. He then laughed, amused at his joke. He took a bite of fish, made a face, and fed Grump the rest of the fish. You snickered and took a bite of the fish. It wasn't as bad as Gobber was making it out to be. Living with Night Furies, meant a lot of fish. And a lot of slobbery, regurgitated fish. Sometimes berries and nuts, if you could find them on the surface. Astra waddled over to you, looking content as she sat at your feet. Tooth wasn't far behind her.

"Once you move back in, with all your dragons, oh, Drago won't stand a chance!" He exclaimed, far too excited. "Everything will be ooh-kay." Stoick put a hand on his shoulder. "Slow down son. It's a lot to take in." Valka stood by trickling water, filling a vase. She looked kind of uneasy. Hiccup made his way over to you and Gobber, sitting at your side. Stoick started whistling a tune, and you watched as Valka reacted in recognition. "Oh, I love this one." Hiccup's shoulder was pressed against yours, and you couldn't tell if he had done so on purpose or not. Hiccup looked entranced as Stoick whistled the tune to his wife. "Remember the song, Val?"

"I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life, if you would marry me. No scorching sun nor freezing cold will stop—"

"Will stop me on my jour...ney!" Gobber cut in. Everyone looked back at him, giving him a disapproving look. "Sorry!" He gave a short, awkward laugh, smiling sheepishly. You rolled your eyes and turned your attention to Stoick and Valka again.

"If you will promise me your heart. And love..." He looked crestfallen, feeling as if maybe there was no hope for her to continue. But her small, soft voice continued the song after a moment's hesitation. "And love me for eternity..." She turned, moving past Stoick. It seemed as if they were falling into the routine of some sort of dance. You glanced at Hiccup, who bore a smile and wide eyes. Your heart fluttered, and you quickly turned your attention back to the singing man and wife. "My dearest one, my darling dear, your mighty words astound me. But I've no need for mighty deeds when I feel your arms around me."

"But I would bring you rings of gold, I'd even sing you poetry." As she jumped over his leg and came back around to face him, she teasingly asked, "Oh, would you?"

"And I would keep you from all harm if you would stay beside me." He continued. "I have no use for rings of gold, I care not for your poetry. I only want your hand to hold." They began to spin. "I only want you near me." Stoick sang. The two were laughing, and having a great time. Gobber had gotten up at this point, dancing along. Toothless became interested but was accidentally hit in the face with a peg-leg. Astra chuffed a laugh as he backed up. "To love and kiss to sweetly hold, for the dancing and the dreaming. Through all life's sorrows and delights, I'll keep your laugh inside me." Even Hiccup was tapping a foot and a hand along to the tune. You hummed along. The dance picked up the pace, but neither was falling behind, as they sang together at the same time. Gobber stood, reaching for you, but you ducked, and he grabbed Hiccup instead, dragging him around to 'dance' with him. You couldn't suppress the snort of laughter. "I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. I'd gladly ride the waves so white, and you will marry me!"

"Eee! I'm still going!" The dragons whined, covering their heads as if to block out the noise. You nudged Gobber, signalling for him to stop. "I'm done!" The two hugged, thrilled to have done that dance. You concluded that it was most likely their wedding dance, and thought it was beautiful. "I thought I'd have to die before we danced that dance again." They broke the hug, and Valka breathlessly chuckled. "No need for drastic measures." Stoick got down on one knee, holding her hands in his own. "For you my dear, anything." He paused. "Will you come home, Val? Will you be my wife once again?" She smiled at him, and Tooth walked by, 'nudging' her towards him. "We could be a family! What do you say?" Tooth lifted his head to her's, clearly excited. She laughed. "Yes."

You felt as if you were intruding on a personal moment again. You and Astra hung back, but you managed to sneak a peek at the overjoyed look on Hiccup's face. You would have a place to stay. A reason to stay. You weren't losing him, after all. "Great," Gobber added, joining the 'group hug', "I'll do the cooking." They all started laughing. You and Astra were the only ones not to. You felt excluded. Not for the first time, either. This interaction was different, for you. No amount of time spent on Berk seemed like a regular interaction for you. Then again, you had been living with dragons for twelve years. Human interactions were vastly different from dragon interactions. "Thank Odin you didn't listen to me, son," he chuckled, "we never would have found her otherwise." Hiccup looked at Toothless before his eyes made their way over to you. Your eyes locked, and for a moment, you forgot there were others in the room. You only had eyes for him, and he only had eyes for you.

Your gaze broke as the cries of dragons grew louder. Astra let out a rumble, deep in her throat. Tooth growled. "Toothless?" Hiccup asked, confused. The dragons seemed to be fleeing the nest. "What's happening?" He questioned. An echoing boom resounded, like as if the nest had been hit by something. Another boom, followed by another, and the sound of crumbling ice. Valka scrambled out, and the rest, including you, followed. There was an armada of ships, using catapults to launch flaming projectiles at the nest. An army littered the edge of the land. "Oh no," Hiccup said, as he came out onto the ledge. Oh no indeed. "Val," Stoick said, following her as she turned to leave. "Val!" He grabbed her arm. "It's alright, it's alright. We're a team now. Now, what do you want to do?" She placed her hand on Stoick's. "We have to save the dragons." She placed her hand on her son's shoulder as she spoke, before heading back inside. "Aye, we got it. C'mon, you two." He said, giving you and Hiccup a gentle push to head inside.

There was going to be a fight, and you couldn't shake the feeling that something dreadful was about to happen.