1. But Who Can Decide What They Dream and Dream I Do

Katie Vereeka's Point of View

I felt like someone was watching me through my bedroom window. Big, bright, blue eyes. My only shield was my blanket. I shivered in the right ball I was curled up in.

Yes. I, Katie Vereeka, was very, very creeped out at the moment.

It’s normal to feel like someone’s watching you right? That’s all you feel where I live. Chicago. Southern Chicago. Southern Chicago is our worst area. Gangs were guarding every corner and if you do one simple thing they don’t agree with, then goodbye to you! Talk about scary. Gunshots were also heard at random moments throughout the day. Luckily tonight there was silence. Then again it was 1:00 AM. Everyone should be sleeping.

What the hell am I talking about? I’m saying everyone should be asleep and here I am wide awake under the covers. Hypocritical much?

The feeling of someone watching me disappeared. I fell asleep to the sound of a cricket chirping.

Almost immediately, a foggy image appeared in my head. You know that foggy feeling you get when you’re about to dream? Yeah. That was what was happening. I was alone in a dark forest. The one that’s behind my backyard to be exact. Leaves crunched behind me, signaling that someone was following me. Human instinct told me to run. My brain told me to hide. My heart told me to stop moving because I was tired but I would still be safe.

I listened to my heart and sat on the ground. People always say to listen to your heart, right? Why not give it a try?

Before I knew it, someone wrapped their arms around my neck from behind. All access to oxygen was taken away from me. I was picked up off the ground and shaken violently. I started to scream.

“Help me!” I yelled. My voice echoed through the forest.

“Shut the fuck up!” a voice said behind me.

Another person walked in front of me. I started to cry. The tattoo he had on his arm was a gang sign. He pointed a gun at me. I squirmed in my capturer’s arms.

“Why me?” I asked but it was choked out.

“What do you think? Look at your skin,” the gangbanger with the gun said.

I shuddered. Let me tell you, I was the whitest person of all white people. My skin looked as if I was albino. The only reason people knew I wasn’t was because instead of white hair, I had strawberry blonde and my eyes weren’t red. They were dark gray. A stereotype for Chicago gangs was that they weren’t too fond of white people.

“Hold still,” the gangbanger said. I heard the click of the trigger.

I started screaming and squirming. Then, a loud pop deafened my ears and I blacked out.

I woke up screaming. When I realized I wasn’t asleep anymore, I held in my breath to stop myself from making any further noise. Why do people say listen to your heart? It doesn’t work out in the end half the time!

Sigh. Dreams. Yeah. I hate those. Most of mine were visions of the future. They would always come true later, even the simplest dreams.  A thirteen year old like me should not have dreams of the future. Isn’t that a bad sign? According to the things I’ve read, if you had a simple thing wrong with you a loooong time back like seeing visions of the future for instance, they would burn you. Apparently it was accused as witchcraft or something.

Because of my dreams of the future, I was scared about this one. What if it was really going to happen?

“Katie!” someone yelled. It sounded like my mom. “Katie!” It also sounded like it came outside my window.