26. Got Us a Battle; Leave It Up to Me

Zoey Cornell's Point of View

“Let’s go! This fight is over!” I yelled so Katie could hear.

“Zoey Cornell!” she yelled threateningly. “If I ever see you again, mark my words…”

I started a curse in my head in Ancient Greek against all the vampires that existed. It was something like: To all vampires not from the underworld, be prepared because no abilities to run as fast as you can or push to kill will be allowed in battle. In fact, you will run and punch like a normal human while battling. The only exceptions are when you’re fighting own kind, werewolves, or you take the demigods’ side in battle.

I laughed at the end of the curse. The other demigods who understood were laughing too. Nico looked at me, sad.

“Nico, what is wrong?” I asked.

“My hellhound. He’s dead,” Nico said. He sniffled. “He was killed in battle protecting me. Rip killed him but I know it wasn’t on purpose. He was just doing self-defense. I know how to kill a vampire for sure now, too. But it’s brutal.” He looked at me, pupils shaking like they usually do when someone’s about to cry.

Grover stood up and touched the monster with two fingers. “May the wild god Pan be with you.” The monster turned into a tree and was quickly taken by Grover to Camp Half-Blood.

 “What the heck, I want the carcass!” Lee yelled, giving us a my-dad-is-the-god-of-healing look.

I rolled my eyes and whistled for the pegasi. Guido, Blackjack, and Dante came. We hopped on their backs after Percy retrieved his sword and flew away. Nico decided to shadow travel.

The vampires saw all of this happening.

* * * *

We soon arrived at camp early in the morning. Very early in the morning. No one was up. Our trip took two hours. I didn’t get any sleep. No one did.

I got to my cabin. Chiron was there.

“Chiron, I know this looks bad but-” I started but I had to stop. Chiron suddenly turned into a man and a woman.

 “Athena. Poseidon,” Percy said, coming up from nowhere. He kneeled.

“Get up son. Great job following your younger sister,” Poseidon said.

Percy nodded and stood up.

“I honor you both with this,” Athena said.

“A pet owl and a fountain?” I asked in awe. The fountain sprung to life outside while the owl was now perched on my arm.

“Yes, but you still have one choice to make. I cannot help you choose the wide choice because we have to go. The sun is coming up,” Athena said. She smiled and she and Poseidon both vanished, leaving us with a salty smell from the saltwater fountain.

“So what do you choose?” Percy asked.

“I guess I will kill Jackson. I’m going to need fire,” I said.

“I got it. But why?”

“I don’t know. Just this feeling I have. Remember how Jackson had a fire ready when your sword was in Alice’s stomach?” I asked. Percy nodded. “By the way, who stabbed that into her?”

“Jackson did,” Percy said.

“Thought so.” What, with the way the vampires were acting. And Katie doesn’t seem like the type of person to kill for no reason. “Anyway, maybe that fire was to burn Alice?” It was just a guess.