7. I Like Talking About You

Katie Vereeka's Point of View

A week passed. July was almost here. I never told Alice what Jackson thought; I told nobody actually. I didn’t want to start any more drama so I kept it to myself. Besides, Taylor would’ve bitten my head off for sure if I said something negative about her mate.

Is there a good thing to this? Yup. The wall was repaired. Luckily, the construction workers just gave us weird and confused looks instead of asking what happened. And don’t worry, the Chicago Coven and I hid our red eyes from them.

Alice and I were in my room. She wore black flats and navy blue skinny jeans. Her white blouse was covered by some fancy black vest thing I couldn’t remember the name for. She told me about five times but to be honest I had no desire to remember its name. I’m not a fashionista like she is. If I was one, I would’ve remembered the name and I wouldn’t be thinking that her outfit was really fancy for just sitting around the house right now.

We were on the floor and my back was to her while she did my hair. She said she was putting some fancy braid in it and I had a feeling it was a fishtail braid. I still don’t know how to do those…

“So Katie,” Alice said. She tugged on my hair while she was flipping stands all over the place. “Let’s talk about those powers.”

“You already know about them,” I said.

Alice smiled. “Let’s talk about how strong they are.”

“My only really strong power is the future telling,” I said. “The rest are just as weak or strong as the rest of your families. Future telling is my best because I can see werewolves too.”

“Hmm. Rip told me about that,” Alice said.

“Why do you think I can see them?” I asked.

Alice shrugged. “Maybe you were just lucky and just got a stronger power than me. What I’m wondering is why you have more than one power. Everyone I know has only one. Some have none for that matter.

I didn’t reply.

“Alright. It’s finished,” Alice said.

I turned around to face her. I crossed my legs and then touched my hair. Yup. Definitely a fishtail braid. I leaned back, holding myself up with my hands.

“You know what?” I said. “The Chicago Coven never told me how and when they became vampires.”

Alice chuckled. “Seriously?”

I nodded.

“Well, Renee was bitten in 1830s because she was dying. A horse trampled all over her and broke a lot of bones. It crushed some of her skull too. A vampire just walking by bit her,” Alice explained. “In the 1920s, she found Rip dying of starvation. So she bit him. Demi and Joe came to them in 1930. Both of them were bitten in the early 1700s. They forgot why. You know how human memories are a little fuzzy once you’re a vampire right?”

I nodded, lying. Mine were actually perfectly clear.

Alice continued. “Jackson was shot during the Civil War by a Union soldier. An unknown vampire bit him. Jasper actually knew Jackson before any of us did. Jackson found Taylor as a vampire. She was bitten in 1940 because of a vampire hunting accident. They sucked the blood out of everyone around her but they forgot to finish her. They met the Chicago Coven in 1952.”

“Alice, why do you know so much about them?” I asked.

Alice smiled slyly. “Well…”

I raised an eyebrow at her.