"Chapter Eleven"

Three weeks later

Maeve

All I see was the bright light and the faint sounds of a heart monitor beeping. Everything sounded so faint and my eyes sting with the bright light.

I saw David sitting on the seat next to me. Then my parents with their seats nearby.

"H...Hello?" I let out in a weak, hoarse voice.

"MAEVE!" David's shouts as shushing can be heard.

I flinch and tried to focus on my vision as its being blurry. Doctors swarm in as I tried to sit up but used my arm that's under a cast along with my left leg making me wince and collapse.

"Where am I..?" I asked while they performed some tests on me.

"You're at the hospital," David responds.

"Do you have any memory of the accident?"

I had to stop and think...

All I can remember is the impact and a deer standing over me...

"I remembered the impact and the deer... but my memory is vague," I respond.

And I couldn't believe my own two eyes... Hayes was standing to my left side of me with his index fingers on my arm, checking my pulse.

"Hayes McColey is that you?" I asked faintly with a weak smile.

He didn't respond until he was done along with doctors.

"She is stable but might have to keep her for a few hours just to be sure..."

"Is she going to be wheelchair-bound or wearing a walking boot?"

"She's gonna be wheelchair bound but it's only temporarily. And she has to see her regular doctor to have checkups and therapy on the leg."

I listened in and felt exhausted like waking up from a deep sleep...

"Any more questions?"

"Yeah. How long have I been in a coma?" I finally spoke up after listening in.

"Three weeks," Hayes responded.

When he said that, I felt confused... it felt like it was yesterday...?

When there were no more questions, they all left and I looked at Dave.

"David.." I said his name before he grabs my other hand and had his hand on my cast.

"Yes, babe?" He asked.

"Was I... out for three weeks...?"
"Yes." He responds.

I then remembered... Addie's death and how I was very depressed.

I sink into the bed, just remembering.

"Maeve..?"

"I..." I didn't know where to begin.