Chapter 37: Expectations

Trent opened the door of his car and got into the passenger seat. His mom just came to pick Trent up to take him home. He did nothing but sit and stare out the window of the car as they started driving.

"So...I heard you got in a fight today...is that true?," His mom asked.

"Hm...," Trent said shrugging off his mothers question.

"You know that your dad will be furious with you...," his mother said.

Trent didnt say anything. His mother then sighed.

"I know you dont like it and I know you would rather not be contracted to a spirit, but it's your responsibility. This spirit needs to go down the line of our family tree if it has a chance to survive. Without a host, it will cease to exist," his mother said.

"Ughhh," Trent said in a stressed tone. "It's stupid! Why can't it just choose someone else, why me? Why my bloodline? Can't I sell it?"

"You know you cant do that Trent. He chose our bloodline for a reason. It's to see us succeed. He cant be contracted to anyone else," His mom said.

"I dont even want him around. If he really wanted to help out humans like he said he does, then he should just disappear. Spirits are a danger to humans...," Trent said.

His mother pulled over to side of the road so fast that Trent gripped the handle at the top. His heart was racing as she came to a stop.

"What the hell was that for?," Trent screamed.

"That spirit is what's left of your roots and you should treat it with more respect...no you will treat this spirit with more respect. Especially when this spirit is giving you amazing power that you would never believe," His mother complaining and demanding him.

"Well maybe I dont want that power...," Trent said.

His mother then turned and looked at the road ahead. She then sighed and shook her head.

"...I guess you will understand when you are older...," She said as she put the car in drive. "We will talk about this later, Trent..."