Chapter 22: No Healing

Darkness. Nothing but thoughts. Trent's thoughts flooding into his mind. All he thought about was her. Emily. What did she think of him? What did she think of this new kid? It didn't matter, did it? She wouldn't like him anyways...or does she? He didn't like him. Didn't seem like he would ever. Especially when he was a fire blade. The new kid must be selfish. Owen wants her to himself. All to himself. But why? Why must Trent think like this? Ted gave him reason enough to look out for him. For the time being he will just push those thoughts to the back of his mind and forget that they are there. Owen is an idiot but maybe I can change him, Trent thought. Could Trent change him? Could he encourage Owen to change his selfish ways?

Trent woke up. When he opened his eyes, he saw the worried face of Emily.

"Are you okay, Trent?," She asked him as he sat up. He then stretched for a minute or two and then he spoke, " yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I'm F..."

Trent then got cut off by Emily smacking him across the face.

"Ow! God, what was that for?," Trent asked.

"You idiot!! You really don't know?! When someone tells you to run, you run! Didn't your mother teach you anything?!," Emily yelled at him.

"I didn't need to run I was...," Trent said before being cut off by Emily.

"You were what? Fourteen years of my life and I couldn't beat him. What the hell makes you think you can?! Is it because you want to be this macho guy? I guess you haven't changed one bit," Emily said crossing her arms.

"Hey! I have changed! Don't give me that!," Trent said.

"No...of course you haven't...you won't just move on will you? I already have, Trent. You need to too," Emily said in a lowered tone. Both of them were silent. They didn't know what to say next. They just sat there watching the paramedics come to load the teachers into ambulances. They even picked up Owen, who was laying on the grass passed out. One of them then came up to Trent.

"You hurt at all? Can you stand?," The paramedic asked.

"No, and I can walk just fine thanks," Trent said.

The paramedic just nodded and then left to help the others roll Len to the ambulance.

When the paramedic walked away, Emily just looked at Trent who was looking back at her. She looked away and sighed.
"You are beyond helping...," Emily said. She then stood up and walked to watch them take away her father who was lying lifeless on the gurney they were taking him in.

All she could do now was cry. It was over. Finally. After so many long years, it was finally over. She knelt to the ground. She couldn't believe it, but why was she crying? Surely there should be some reason, right? She wiped her tears then put her arms around her torso. She felt like she wanted to be held. She wanted someone to hug her. Someone in that moment. Someone like how her father used to be. How he used to hug her, and tell her that everything will be okay. However, he wasn't here now. He is now trying to cling to what life is left.

Even though she was relieved at what had happened, she still missed the warmth. The warmth of a loving parent. The warmth of a loving father. She sighed and closed her eyes. Tears started streaming down her face as she imagined the warmth. Remembering what it felt like. She opened her eyes and wiped her tears. She stood up and walked to meet up with the rest of the paramedics.
Trent then got up. He sighed and then...
...he followed.