Chapter 26: Inside job

Owen, sleeping soundly in his crib, was very gently picked up by his mother. Martha gazed at how cute her son was. Lifted from his bed and didn't make a sound. She kissed his forehead and laid him back in his crib. She wrapped him in blankets and lifted him.

"There you are my strong man. You can sleep through anything can't you," she said rocking her baby in her arms. Owen was just fast asleep. Calm. Peaceful. As if nothing can disturb his slumber.

She knew in her heart that it was dangerous and irresponsible to do what she is doing right now, but it's the only way to make sure Mike comes back home alive.

"You ready to go honey?," Mike said handing her an apple to eat for her breakfast. She then left the room with Owen in her arms and started walking down the stairs. She then turned to exit the house as Mike put his hand on the door knob. Mike turned it to open the door to the frozen landscape. Mike had put on his boots to walk in the snow with then grabbed Owen so Martha can do the same.

They left the house and slammed the door behind them. Mike then locked the door and walked up to Gordon who was waiting for his coworker to leave the house.

"Thank God, you are out. We must hurry, the forces are on their way and I don't think we can fend them off any longer. Besides, we haven't gotten word from Spirit City to come help us out," said Gordon.

"What about Bay City? Surely they can help us, right?," Mike said.

"No, they said that they would refuse to help us if it gets us into a war with those monsters. Some times it seems like they don't know how serious it is to put an end to what they are doing before it gets out of hand," Gordon said.

"Of course," Mike said rolling his eyes.

"Lets just talk about this on the road," said Gordon opening up the door of the black car that he arrived in. When Mike stepped in and sat down, Gordon noticed that Martha was following him with baby Owen.

"Oh! Martha...I didn't realize u were coming with. I really am happy to see you, but don't you think it will be a little dangerous?," Gordon said.

"Yes, I know Gordon. I can take care of myself," Martha said.

"...that wasn't what I was worried about...," Gordon said.

She stared at Owen, who was still asleep in his mother's arms. The way he was sleeping so soundly brought a smile to her face. She knew then that things were going to be alright.

"I will protect him with my life, Gordon," she said with a smile.

"Well then, right this way Mrs. Shores," Gordon said gesturing to the open door of the vehicle. Martha climbed in and sat next to her husband. They exchanged a look as the door shut behind Martha. Gordon then walked to the drivers side door and got into the car.

"It's gotten pretty bad. We are going to have to rush over there. We don't have a strategy at the moment," Gordon said as he started the car and started to drive.

"Have you asked to speak to the leader wanting this attack to go through?," Mike asked.

"We have but there was no response from any of them," Gordon said.

"Then how would you know that there was a traiter?," Martha asked with a confused expression. "Maybe they just waited and looked through our defenses after a long time."

"...because the person came forward...," Gordon said.

"Who was it? Is he in custody?," Mike asked shouting.

"...not...exactly...," Gordon said.

"They are still on the loose?!," Mike said with great disbelief of what he just heard. "I thought you guys would take care of it!"

"We tried sir, honest. He got away...we couldn't...," Gordon said. "We couldn't hurt him..."

"Then who is he?!," Mike Shouted. The moment Mike finished, his wife put her hand on his arm.

"Mike...please," Martha said trying to calm him down. He then looked at her. Gazing into her eyes gave him a calming feeling that rushed over him. She smiled at him. He laid back in his seat and sighed. She absolutely knew how to calm him down and have him forget why things trouble him so much. He loved that about her. She always knew what to say, even though, at times like this, she didn't need to use any words. She looked back at the driver.

"May you please tell us, Gordon," Martha said in a calm voice.

"W-well...you see...it was...," Gordon said just as he drove up to the place where they needed to be.

An entrance in the big wall that held the entire town in. There, standing in front of the entrance talking to the commander of the wall watch was a lady with snow white hair, Krystal.

Gordon then parked allowing Mike and Martha to step out.

"What's the problem, Krystal?" Mike asked as he hastily walked up to Krystal.

She looked at him with utter shock of his arrival.

"I thought you had the day off, Mike" Krystal said.

"Surprisingly, me too. Did they attack anyone yet?" Mike asked.

"Minor threats here and there but nothing really major yet. We tried to reason with them, but all they did was scoff at each idea. I think we might have to fight," Krystal clarified.

"And what of this inside person, huh?" Mike said with a glare.

"W-well that's the thing Mike...it's...uh...," Krystal said stumbling over her words as she tried to muster up the strength to tell him.

"Just spit it out already," Mike said in an angered tone.

"It's Loki...he was behind all of it...," Krystal said.

Mike clenched his fist as Martha came holding Owen in her arms. Martha noticed the angered look on his face.

"What's wrong?" Martha asked him. Krystal then looked at Martha as she was tearing up.

"I'm srry...,"Krystal said in a depressing tone.

Martha then looked back at Mike.

"Mike?" She asked.

"Marth...stay here with the baby...," Mike said.

"Why?" Martha asked shocked at Mike's response.

"I'm gonna kill a son of a bitch!," Mike exclaimed.