Chapter 29: Vermin

"I wonder who that boy was that threatened the poor girl," Macy said to Ryan as they left the hospital room. "Let me tell you that I will give that boy a piece of my mind if I ever see him."

Macy and Ryan then left the hallway and entered the waiting room. They then passed a boy sitting down staring at the floor. This kid had blonde hair and looked to be about Emily's age. Macy then stopped and gazed at the boy. The boy just sat there, staring at the ground. His hands were in his lap. He clenched a fist and seemed like he was about to cry.

"M-Macy? Are you coming?," Ryan asked. Macy then turned Ryan angrily.

"Shut up, Ryan and go start the car and get in. I will be there in a bit!," Macy said. Ryan then nodded and left to go do what she asked. She turned back to face the boy. The boy then raised his head to reveal that he was crying. Then Macy recognized who it was. Owen! That was him. She walked up to him angrily and looked him in the eye.

"What are you crying for? Huh?," Macy said in a serious tone.

"M-my mom just...I-Im only here to see my friend Emily...," Owen said.

"Emily? Well I am her aunt and her guardian now and you will never come within ten feet of her. Do you understand? Look at what you done. My brother is dead now because of you. You threatened my daughter and you put the whole school at risk. You really are a heartless monster...I don't want you to talk to her anymore...," Macy almost shouted at him. "monsters dont cry..."

Macy then turned away from him. "You make me sick...," she said.

She then started walking to the door. She only glanced back for a second to see that he was still crying. She then turned to him.

"What do you want? Money?," Macy said.
Owen then stood up and looked at her angrily. Tears streaming down his face, he spoke, "My mother died and I am here to see my friend. I would never hurt or threaten her in any way! It was YOUR brother that called his own daughter a bitch! If you want to hate me, then fine, but I am going to see my friend, with or without your approval!"

Macy turned and looked at the ground.
"Enjoy your last minutes with her then...when she is better I am going to bring her to East city," Macy said.

Owen's expression faded as he realized what she was saying.

"B-but you cant...I...," Owen said tripping on his words.

"It's for her protection...," Macy said as she stared back at him. "You may see her this one last time..."

She then faced the door and walked outside, leaving Owen in the waiting room. She got in the car that was waiting for her at the passenger pickup.

"How did it go?," Ryan said as she climbed in.

"Just...S-shut up and drive," Macy said as she closed the door.

Ryan started driving out of the parking lot. As Macy watched the hospital disappear in the rearview mirror...

...she felt a single tear stream down her face.