(M.S.) Episode 4: Incredible Skill

Janus and I moved across the arena, each clash sending shockwaves throughout the gym

Janus and I moved across the arena, each clash sending shockwaves throughout the gym. Small cuts began to appear in our clothes and skin even though we hadn't cut each other with our weapons. If it weren't for the fact I had angelic blood, then I likely would've been in worse shape than my opponent was who was using his prana to protect himself.

"You're amazing," Janus said as he broke away from me. "You're the first one I've met who can hold his own against me like this. Especially one who isn't even using a cloak of prana. What kind of cultivation did you do to strengthen your body like this?"

I chuckled nervously. I guessed he hadn't figured out about my angelic heritage. If anyone figured it out, there was a possibility that the proctors would terminate my exam. Despite the current Magus Maximus himself having angelic blood, the majority of Xelerians viewed angels with suspicion, if not outright hatred. It all stemmed back to the universal war our universe had with the realm of the angels and the realm of the dragons.

"I was lucky, you could say," I said, grinning. Though that wasn't necessarily the case at all. I had to work hard to develop my magic to this point. Even then, it wasn't as well polished as those of others. I only knew a few spells. In order to make up for the gap, I had to become creative with what I did know.

Janus smirked. "Luck, huh?" He held out his hand which started to glow bright silver. A golden six-sided star seal appeared behind him. From the edges of the seal, silver weapons lurched out at me.

I swatted them one by one with my ice sword while grabbing others with cold water and freezing them in place. But more and more kept on coming. It was as if there was no end.

A spell without an incantation? And not just a basic one either. This appears to be at least a level two spell. If anyone is amazing here, it's him, not me.

"Look out!" Oca yelled as she appeared behind me. She blocked a sneak attack from Esme with a water barrier. 

Esme's attack didn't look like much, it was only a small plant. I gasped as things clicked in my head. I recognized the spell from my books. The tiny plant would latch onto someone and drain their prana. They were especially useful against those with water prana such as me. But my ice prana could be used to neutralize said benefit.

"NO!" I yelled as the plant's roots expanded outward and latched onto Oca. Even though she had blocked it with her water shield, its roots managed to break through the barrier.

"Hey, pay some attention here!" Janus yelled.

I gasped as blades punctured my skin. Luckily they were blunt so they didn't go very deep, but that only intensified their pain.

"Tsk." I turned around and swung my sword at him, delivering a freezing wave of air.

Janus grinned as he jumped back. "Not bad, not bad!"

"Oca, hold on! I'll free you from that! Let me just finish this guy off," I yelled as I stared down my opponent.

Oca scoffed. "Who do you take me for? I don't need you to help me out!" I turned and saw her raising a hand toward the sky. She was sending as prana as she could toward the plant, causing it to become a humongous tree with her at its center.