(OoW)- Episode 3: Wǔ lùjìng Academy

*Yin*

After returning back to Xinyi's place, I found myself staring at Anxing's statue anew.

"Yin, I've been waiting for you," my sister said as she walked down a set of cinnabar stairs.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting, Yang," I said, bowing slightly.

She glared at me. "Brother, how many times do I have to tell you not to bow before me? We're siblings, even if we only share the same mother."

"Are you going to depart already?" Xinyi asked as she returned from wherever she had gone off to.

Yang nodded. "We appreciate your assistance. You can keep brother's robe if you desire. He won't have much use for it, having decided to abandon our clan's tradition during his time at school."

I turned around. "Let's return to the skies. We shouldn't be too far from the school."

"Wait, you two have barely rested," Xinyi said. "Anyway, there is another way to get us there. Currently my family's assistants are working on it.."

"'Us'?" we siblings asked in unison.

Xinyi chuckled. "Yin & Yang and talking in unison...it's hard to believe that you aren't twins. Anyways, as I said before, I'm going with you."

Oh right, she did mention it before...

"Lady Xinyi," a boy with short black hair said. "The preparations are ready for you to go to the academy."

She patted him in the shoulder. "Good work, Zhao. That'll be all, you are dismissed."

Zhao bowed once again and ran off to another part of the house.

"Follow me," Xinyi ordered, glancing back at us.

Xinyi escorted us to the left wing of the house. The path to the left wing was an open hall which provided one with a view of the interior gardens of the mayor's mansion. Other than a few odd looking crystal flowers there was nothing that stood out for me. It was actually rather plain, having only a bird shaped fountain and various colored jasmine. Though at least it smelled nice.

"We're here," Xinyi announced before she slide open a pair of bamboo doors. Standing in the center of the small room was a sofa sized white crystal charged with prana.

"This is... How did you get access to this?" Yang asked, bewildered. "Teleportation crystals are difficult to obtain. Even our family doesn't have one."

"Really? That's surprising. I would've thought that the High Priestess would have one." She looked directly at the crystal and touched it. "This crystal was given to us by the bird goddess during the founding of this town. I ask that you two keep it a secret."

We nodded.

"Good. Now touch it and you shall be taken to the academy," she said as she placed her hand on it. "See ya on the other side!" With those words, she vanished.

Yang and I touched the crystal.

Next thing I knew, I was in the middle of a crowd of students. I didn't see either Xinyi or Yang.

"It seems that all of our students are here," a woman with short brown hair said. She glared at the vast sea of students waiting in front of a red gate, the entrance to the academy grounds. "We shall begin the exams now!"

The woman snapped her fingers. Two woman struck two cavities built unto the doors with earth and wind magic. Creaking sounds filled the large city square where we waited. The gates swung open before our eyes.

"Proceed!" the woman in charge uttered. "The test to determine your position under the heavens shall begin! Aim for the heavens and you shall live well! Fail to do so and you'll end up living a lowly life." She pointed at the now open gate.

We all rushed inside the gate.

According to what I was told prior to leaving home, we had to make our way past five trials. The first of which was to make it past a deep canyon in order to arrive at the true site of the academy. Those who made it there quicker got higher scores.

I ran inside but kept getting bumped into by girls.

"Look where you're going!" I yelled.

"Are you alright?" a voice called out. I looked to my right and saw a guy with long black braided hair. The clothes he wore were plain and looked worn-out.

"I'm fine," I said. I smiled. "Thanks for asking."

"No problem," he said as he pushed his way forward. "We guys have to look out for each other. The name is Kang by the way."

It was nice to be assured that I could count on someone else...though I didn't want to trust too much. Trusting others always lead to disappointment at one point or the another.

After I finally made it inside, I broke away from the crowd, tired of being too close to so many people. I ran toward an open space littered sparsely by thin trees.

"Yin!" yelled a familiar voice. I turned around and saw Xinyi run after me.

"Where do you think you're going?" She summoned a map. "Didn't you get one of these upon registering for the test?"

I summoned my own. "I got one. That's why I'm taking this route. The other route is too crowded. I'll have a better chance of surviving this test by going this way. Plus it might just result in a faster time."

"You really did think over it," said the boy from before.

"Good thinking brother," Yang said, grinning.

I narrowed my eyes. Great, now I had a crowd behind me.

***

We journeyed through the grasslands until we came upon an old wooden bridge.

"Gentlemen first," Yang offered us boys.

Kang chuckled. "Like I would risk my life. You try it first."

Yang obliged him, calmly walking over to the other side. "There!"

Kang followed after her but he lacked the grace my sister had, causing the bridge to sway.

"Go," Xinyi said, pointing to the still swaying bride.

I snickered. "Are you scared?"

Her face became red. "I'm not!" She scoffed and walked over to the other side, even less gracefully than Kang had. Though, I wasn't surprised. Girls weren't known for their grace.

I stepped forward only to have the bridge's rope unravel on me.

Xinyi and Yang reached their hands out toward me but I didn't grab a hold of either on time. Sister tried to jump down to grab me but Xinyi stopped her, telling her she lacked the energy to do so.

The screams of Kang and the girls faded into whispers, the farther I went down. I closed my eyes as I prepared for the inevitable...

*Solar Note: Hope that you enjoyed the chapter :3*