(M.S.) Chapter 2: Rich Girl

The proctors escorted us out of the examination room and led us straight to the western wing of the school

The proctors escorted us out of the examination room and led us straight to the western wing of the school. At the end of the hallway laid a pair of blue doors. The proctor of the paper exam waved her hand, causing the doors to open with a gust of air. On the other side of the doors was a gym twice the size of one's average high school gym. It indeed was the gym of a former magic high school.

Within were already those who were in the other classrooms. Among the others who passed the first part was a girl with long blue hair and cyan eyes. I noticed her right away because she was staring directly at me as we walked inside. Not to mention her style of dress was different than that of us Wahkanians. She wore a tight-fitting white dress with a silk scarf that shimmered like a river being struck by the sun. That style was typical on the mainland, specifically Rios and Trono, nations from the continent to the south of ours.

"What is a burger boy like you doing here?" the girl asked, making her way toward me. She gave me a cocky grin. "Shouldn't you be flipping burgers or something?"

Who the heck is this girl? Calm down, Eri. Remember Master Feng's words; getting upset isn't the way to handle things.

I gave her a slight smile. "My shift ended around several minutes to the start of this exam. So you recognize me?" I bow slightly. "It flatters me that a young lady of your caliber would recognize a young man of lowly birth such as I. Though I do not recall having met you. Were you one of our customers?"

The girl turned her back to me. "I would never in my life eat at such a place."

"Oh? Then how do you know I work at Burger Maximus?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. I tilted my head, trying to recall as to where I had seen such a girl. "Ah, I got it, you must've seen me on my way back home! Are you some secret admirer?"

The girl scoffed as she walked toward one of the top bleachers. "Admirer to a low born such as yourself? As if. It does not matter how I know you."

I ignored her remark and sat down in one of the front bleachers, staring at the red-haired proctor from before as she convened with several of the other proctors. I sighed and glanced over at the blue-haired rich girl.

That girl sure seems to love ruffling one's feathers, but it seems that I've succeeded in flipping the tables.

The girl made a disgusted face as she caught me staring, though she had no right to as she was staring at me before!

"All of you are to show off your skills," said the red-haired proctor as she glanced at the still sizable crowd of students. "Those of you who show the most prowess will pass. Those who fail to do so will be forced to abandon their dreams of attending our elite academy."

Harsh, but I will not allow myself to become one of those who has his dreams shattered before his eyes.

"The first to show us their magical skills will be Eri Mikado and Oca Rios."

I rose from my seat and made my way toward the center of the gym.

"So, I'll be battling him?" asked a familiar voice.

I spun around and saw the girl from before.

Oh great, just my luck. Wait, no... this is good luck! I can make her feel the sting of defeat at the hands of a 'burger boy'! Though, fighting a girl isn't something I like to do.

"Not yet," said the proctor. "You two will serve as a demonstration for the rest for this next part of the exam. Consider it a 'reward' for being so loud earlier."

"Reward?" Oca said. But before she could get an answer, we found ourselves surrounded by water.

"Where is this?" I asked, glancing at the tiny island. There were only a couple of palm trees, but beyond that, there was nothing in sight.

"What is this?" Oca shouted, raising her eyes toward the sky. Suddenly a metallic eye descended.

"This next part of the exam is a survival course. You and your partner are to survive an entire day using only your magic and any ordinary survival skills you may or may not possess. Good luck, everyone," the voice of the red-haired proctor echoed from the silver eye as it floated around us.

"What?" the girl said, glancing over at me. Her glare could kill someone if it were a weapon. "No way... this can't be. I can't be stuck here with the likes of you."

I strode over to the palm trees as thick black clouds made their way toward us. "Hey, now isn't the time to whine. I don't like the idea of being stuck with an elitist brat either, but please put aside said elitism to pass this test."

Her jaw dropped. "What? Do you honestly believe that I need the likes of you to survive this part of the exam? Ha, like I need your help! For your information, I am a Rios. Being surrounded by water isn't bad at all. I can simply walk back to the mainland."

I narrowed my eyes. "Oh, is that so? Then tell me, princess, which way is it to the main island?"

Oca spun around. Her cyan eyes scanned the expansive sea, which went on for miles, upon miles. "I think it's... that way?"

I scoffed. "Yeah? Then be my guest, go that way. Or at least I would say so. But it sounds like to pass this, both of us have to survive."

She stomped over to me. "I hate guys like you."

"Guys like me? What do you mean? I thought that you were in love with me. I mean, the way you're picking on me, the way you look at me. You definitely are a secret admirer," I said with a wide grin.

She slapped me so hard that my head struck one of the trunks of one of the palm trees. "Don't say such disgusting things, you insolent plebian!"

I rose and wiped the blood rolling down my face. "Hey! Don't hurt your partner, you bitch!"

Once more, her jaw dropped. "What was that?"

With each passing second, the wind grew stronger and stronger until the rain began pouring down. Lightning flashed through the darkening sky followed by thunderclaps. My stomach twisted when I realized the lightning was striking close enough to strike us.

I sighed and stood up. "We are going to fail if you continue like this. I will fight you but now isn't the time. We have to work together! You do understand what it means, right? 'Together'?"

Oca pouted. "Of course I do, you insufferable buffoon! Urgh, I do not know what I did to get stuck with the likes of you!"

I scoffed. "Me neither!" And just like that, we found ourselves stuck on a tiny island as heavy rain came down on us. But I wasn't going to let some rain nor a rich girl with an overblown ego ruin my dream of attending my desired school. No matter what, I was going to pass this exam!

**Solar Note: Hope that you enjoyed the chapter, if so then click on that star to show your love <3**