(M.S.) Episode 3: A Tempest of a Partnership

"So," I said as I laid underneath a makeshift hut

"So," I said as I laid underneath a makeshift hut. "Want to come inside?"

Oca who was drenched completely glared at me. "W-why would I? I am doing completely fine!" She returned to her futile struggle to form a hut for herself.

I took a deep breath and walked out. "Here, at least let me help you. It's become rather painful to watch you flail around like a headless chicken."

The girl gasped and turned to look at me. "What was that?"

I snickered. "Did the rain water get into your ears?" I leaned in closer. "I said that you were flailing around like a headless chicken!"

Oca lowered her beautiful eyes as her face reddened. "Hmph, well, what did you expect from someone of my status? I've never built a hut in my life."

I grinned. "Well, at least you aren't too prideful to admit that."

She averted her gaze again. "Do not talk down to me, plebeian."

"Hmph, a plebeian I might be, but for this exam, you are no more nor less than me. Now, how about we hurry up with this before you get a cold? Or maybe you'll like to rest in the one I already finished. You close the curtain if you want to change out of those clothes."

Oca scoffed. "For your information, water is my friend!"

I covered my mouth with the back of my elbow. I looked down at her drenched dress. "Really? Because it sure doesn't look like it."

The rich girl grumbled and stood up. "Fine, I'll take your stupid tent, happy?"

I looked away. "I will be once I'm free from you."

"Same here!" she yelled before entering my tent.

I sighed. I might've made a mistake saying that. Though I couldn't help it. The girl had a way of getting under my skin.

I quickly got back to work on the tent and knitted together several broad palm leaves together using strings I had made out of other leaves. Feng, my foster father who was more like an older brother to me, had taught me how to make them years ago when we went camping. Back then my parents were still around...

***

"Hey, wake up," I heard a voice call out to me. I opened my eyes and saw Oca standing outside the makeshift tent. "The skies have cleared. We should get going now."

I raised myself up from my leafy bed. I felt sorry for the trio of trees on the island. I had taken most of their leaves to make our two tents and beds. Sadly, I didn't have plant magic to restore them.

"Isn't our task only to survive?" I questioned, tilting my head to the side. "So why brave the sea when we can just stay here."

Oca narrowed her eyes as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I thought that you said that you also wanted to get away from me. Consider this as me granting that wish."