(OoW)- Episode 1: Flight

*Yin*

I had awoken hours prior to the first crow of the fenghuang, large huge colorful birds which served as both a method of flight around our celestial home and as a protector from evil serpents.

When the first crow did come, I was already devouring steamed buns like a ravenous dragon.

"Yin?" my older sister said, rubbing her eyes. She was dressed in red silk robes which touched the crimson carpet underfoot.

"Hey, Yang" I said, waving. "Sorry, I finished all the steamed buns."

She sighed. "You sure are a big eater."

I chuckled. "Sorry... being nervous makes me even hungrier."

"I can see that," she said, sighing. "Anyway, I don't think I got much time to eat. We should get going."

I pushed myself up the wooden chair. It was finally time...

***

Yang and I went out of the palace and race one another toward the golden gates. Standing by the gates were a tall and stoic looking black haired man dressed in white and a smiling white haired man dressed in black.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" sis asked, eyes wide.

"We came to say goodbye. Or did you think that we would let you leave without saying your farewells?" the man dressed in white robe said as he ran to hug his oldest daughter.

"Bye, Dad," my sister said as she embraced her father tightly, tears swelling in her eyes.

I tried not to cry as my dad, the one in black robes, embraced me. 

"Take care, son," my dad said. He let go of me and smiled. "Go and make us proud!"

I nodded. "I will." I took one final glance of the white palace behind us. It was built on the highest peak of the floating island that I called home. 

I scanned the plum tree covered garden on each side of the golden path we stood on. Mother wasn't anywhere to be seen. I guessed she ran late to say goodbye.

My sister and I pushed the golden gates open when something suddenly blotted out the sun.

I turned around and saw a red haired woman flying though the sky.

"Wait!" she called out as she flew toward us.

"Mom!" sister and I said. She floated downward but didn't allow her feet to touch the ground. 

Mother was the most beautiful woman I had ever met up to that point. She had long red hair that resembled the reddest possible shade a sunset could produce. Her eyes were like two polished rubies. Her skin was the color of deep, rich sand, but had the delicate look of porcelain.

"You don't plan to leave without saying goodbye to me, do you?" she called out, extending her arms.

Sister wiped away the tears in her eyes. "Of course not!" She accepted mom's hug.

Mother ran her hand through my sister's long black hair. "Come now, you're the future Queen. It is unbecoming of you to cry. You know we women of the Xian don't cry."

"I can't help it," she cried, hugging her tighter.

She turned over to look at me. "Your brother is doing a better job at keeping his feelings in and he's a boy."

My eyes welled, I could no longer hold back my own tears. I hugged mom too. "Bye mom, I'll miss you!"

She smiled and patted my head. "I knew this day would come...it's time for you two to fly out of the nest and into the world. She let go of us and walked over to her husbands and grabbed one hand from each. Unable to hold back the sadness any longer, tears streamed down her face. "Bye, kids."