28

Twelve year old Darin listened to Lacey's report about the boy picking on her while she cried. "I wanted to hit him so bad."
      "Why didn't you?"
"Because mother said I shouldn't be fighting."
      "Okay. Don't worry."
The next day after school, Lacey, Darin and a boy covered in bruises were in the principal's office. Along with the boy's parents, the principal, Lucille and a suspended Marvin. What could possibly have happened? "Darin," The principal started.     "Louis says you beat him."
       Darin looked at the boy who couldn't look at him. "No I didn't."
Louis looked up. But only at his father. "Yes he did."
       "Louis already told us what happened." His father said.
"For our sakes, why don't you tell us again."
       Louis nodded at the principal's request. "After school yesterday, Darin came up to me and said he wanted to talk. Next thing he started hitting me."
       Lacey glared at him for a second. It was enough for Marvin to know something was up. He smirked at his younger ones. "That never happened." Darin's denial had as calm tone to it.
       "Your knuckles are bruised." The boy's mother stated. All eyes dropped to his hands.
       "Darin." Lucille called his name in shock.
"It doesn't mean I hit him mother."
       "Yeah. Darin didn't do anything. We were together. We found some rocks and he was playing with them. Punching them. He said he saw it in a movie." Lacey defended.
       "What movie?" The principal asked.
"Superman." Darin answered.
       "And you punched rocks till it bruised?" Another question from the principal.
       "He wouldn't stop when I asked him to. Mother, I think Darin is crazy."
       "Hey don't call me that?"
"Why Shouldn't I? You think you're superman. When you're a sissy." They started arguing.
       Marvin didn't want to express his amusement out loud. Lucille watched them. Beating on other kids or punching rocks. Neither one was good and Marvin on suspension and following her everywhere as punishment. Trouble was growing. Was it because of the divorce or was it because they were growing up? Marvin wasn't punching stuff or other kids at that age. But they are two different children. Not good. She sighed. "I've heard enough.  Clearly Darin didn't hit him."
       "But he did it I swear." He looked at his dad.
"How old are you sweetie?" Lucille asked.
       "Eleven."
"Then you're in Lacey's class?" He nodded. "What reason does     Darin have to go after a kid that's not in his class?" Louis knows the reason... "I'm sorry about what happened to your son, but mine didn't do it. It wouldn't make any sense."
      "Louis honey" His mother started. "Who hit you? Tell us the truth."
       "It was him." He pointed at Darin without looking at him. "Mom, I'm telling you the truth. It was him."
       "We're leaving. Have a nice day. Come on." The three filed out in front of her.
       "Miss Lawes-" The principal was on her feet, ready to apologise.
       "No." She shook her head. "Have a nice day." She shut the door. While Louis was still trying to explain.
       Two days later, it was the same scene again. Except this time, Darin hit him for telling on him. Louis was sure everyone would believe him this time. But, seeing Darin glare at him just once for a second in the office changed his mind. "He didn't do it." Marvin arched a brow. "He never hit me."
       "Didn't I Louis?"
"No you didn't." Darin scared him.
       "But I did."
"No you didn't." The parents were confused. And impatiently angry. "He didn't do it alright? I lied."
       Marvin scoffed loudly. His brother is... something else. "That's it. I don't want to be called here again."
       Again the principal was up. "Miss Lawes, I ap-"
"Understand me." Again they filed out in front of her. This time, she slammed the door on the others still inside watching.
Louis' mom hurried after them. "Miss Lawes!" She called out.    Everyone turned. She said when she reached them. "I am so sorry about my son. I- I don't know what's gotten into him. Would you all please join us for dinner sometime? Say tomorrow? As an apology."
         "No thank you. I'm leaving town tonight."
"How about-"
         "No." Her eyes wide, a stern look on her face. "Lacey, go get Toni. Let's go." She looked at the woman. "I'm a little too busy to take you up on that." With that, she walked away with the boys.
Later that night, with Lucille gone, Marvin had some questions. He left his room for the first time since they got back from school to meet the plotting pair in the living room. "What happened with that kid?" He asked after blocking the TV with his body.
         He thought they would look at each other or something before giving him an answer... That didn't happen."We're not telling you. You're just going to end up telling mother." Lacey answered. It was a unified decision.
        "So you did hit him. And he said you didn't. What are you the devil? Why did you do it?"
        "I didn't do anything." Darin denied. And kept denying till Marvin gave up.