12

The four grandparents were in the nursery. Madison and Renee arguing in hushed whispers over changing the baby's daipers while Quincy and Bryan watched in amusement. Glasses of Vodka in their hands. With Lucille asleep in the other room, Renee announced the idea of going to see the baby. Bryan and Madison agreed. One look from Madison and Quincy followed. Keeping his distance. "Don't do it like that. You'll ruin it." Renee ordered.
      "It's fine, I know what I'm doing. It doesn't matter-"
Renee faced Madison while Madison tried to work. "It doesn't matter? Of course it does. Did you even handle this with the girls?"
      "No. I had a nanny for them. But I saw her enough times to know."
      "Well, I did it myself with my son." Renee said proudly.
"And look how wonderful he turned out."
       Madison's insulting remark had Bryan burst into laughter. His eyes closed, he didn't see Renee's deathly glare. He could feel it however and didn't care. Smirking, with folded arms, Quincy bent his head.
       Madison didn't care for what was going on behind her. She changed her grandson dutifully. "There." She said with a satisfied smile. Lifting him up, she brought his ear close to her mouth and whispered. "Grand Madison's got you." Then she kissed his soft cheek.
      "Come here Marvin." Renee reached for him. "Come to grandma."
      "Grand Renee would sound better." Bryan said low enough to be heard by only Quincy.
      Quincy smiled. "Madison doesn't want to feel too old."
"Grand Madison suits her."
       "I take it it's Grand Bryan then?"
Bryan scoffed loudly. "No. I'm guessing it's not the same for you."
       "I'm okay with anything else."
Bryan sniffed. "I'm glad we could come together and put this mess behind us."
       Quincy nodded. His gaze lost in his Madison as she watched Marvin with a sweet smile. "Recognising your son as the villain in all of it."
       "I can't imagine why he did this. But I will not stop apologising."
       "You should stop. No one likes to hear the same thing too many times." Quincy turned to leave. "Let's have a drink in my office."
       "Good idea. I wouldn't want to be here when the next insult is thrown. I wouldn't be able to stop myself." Bryan chuckled.
       So did Quincy. "Because you stopped yourself the last time."

      "No. You held him last time it's my turn." Odette argued, taking the baby from Betty.
      "He is so cute Lucille." Betty ignored Odette. "I just want to hold him forever."
      "Everyone's been trying to take him from me since before he was born." Lucille commented.
      "Nora would be so jealous. She's all alone in Nina's house so far away and we get to hold and take care of baby M." Estelle smiled slyly. Loving the idea. "You are staying over right? Cause he's like the only baby we get to carry who isn't put on us as punishment."
      "You are right? Oh please say you are?" Bettie, Betty's friend and namesake asked. So many others chorused in agreement.
      Lucille smiled. "I didn't plan to guys. I don't have enough of anything with me to last the night for Marvin."
      "Oh but the nursery would have like a ton of things." Betty pointed out.
      "We could drag out a crib to our room." Estelle added.
"And we can make stuff in the kitchen if we have to. Lucille please. We all want to take care of him."
      "And take him away from Odette." Estelle said.
"Hey! I haven't carried him before. This is my time."
      "Not for long." Estelle smiled.
"Please stay. If you have to ask Mister Lawes or Nick. You wouldn't even have to do or worry about anything. You could just rest and we'll take care of him. The boys wouldn't touch him we promise. Right guys?" On Betty's question they chorused.
      "No one's going to misbehave."
Hearing Nick's name had made her breathing hitch but she didn't let it affect the smile on her face. "I never said you misbehave."
      "We're just making a point." Odette said. Her attention drawn back to the baby in her arms. "Aren't we? Aren't we you little cutie?" She smiled at him, speaking in a high pitched voice. When he smiled back she squealed. "He's so cute."
       Estelle dangled her finger over his face. "Please Lucille?" Betty asked.
       "Okay." Lucille sighed in defeat. Not that she was planning on fighting them.
       "Really? Awesome!" Bettie exclaimed. "Betty, let's go get the cot and daipers." They ran off in excitement.
       "Your time is over. Give him here."
"No way. We have all day and all night."
       "For a minute, Odette, let her hold him. I want to talk to you." Odette was getting ready to whine. "Juuussst for a minute."
       "Okay."
Rinnie walked in. "I heard you're staying Lucille. Where's Marvin?I want to hold him."
       While Estelle and Rinnie started to argue, Lucille moved to the corner with Odette. "Hey. Have you been eating?"