11

"Betty!" Nora yelled over the phone. "Lucille's about to have the baby."
     "What?!"
"Wes called Nina five minutes ago and she just ran out."
     "Are you serious? Are you serious? You better be serious."
"Why would I lie? She called for the plane and then she just left. Betty, she just left." Nora screamed in excitement. "This can't be happening."
     "Oh my goodness! Guys!" Betty called out to anyone and everyone around her. "Lucille..."

     "Deep breaths." Madison said, petting Lucille's hair. Lucille tried to obey. "Deep breaths."
      The pain caused Lucille to groan, and tears run down her cheeks. "Mom I'm scared."
       Madison swallowed air and blinked twice. She could see the fear. It made her scared too. "You'll be fine. You'll be okay. Nina's on her way. Your father's caught up at work, he'll be here later."
       "Where's Wes?"
"He's right outside."
       "What about Nick? He said-"
"Don't worry darling, don't worry, just breathe." Lucille nodded. Letting out a shaky breath.  "Good girl. Just breathe."
       The room door was opened gently. In less than a second Nina was by Lucille's side. Just as worried as her mother. "Hey Lulu."
       "Nina." Lucille choked.
"I'm here." She held her sister's hand. "Hey."
       "It hurts."
"I know." Nina nodded.
       An hour passed. Bryan and Renee arrived, including Geegee. They were all in the room until Madison asked them to leave. Lucille kept asking after Nick. Nick who said he'll be there. Nina came out of the room, bumping into Wes. She rubbed her forehead. "How is she?" He asked.
      "She's asking for Nick. I need to talk to his parents."
"Wait Nina. How long before- wait." He grabbed her arm before she could turn a corner.
      "Nick." She heard Bryan's voice before she looked at Wes. Wes' worry very clear on his face. He looked stiff. Like all the air he needed to breathe was with Lucille. "What?"
      "Is she still cry-"
"What do you mean you're not coming?!"
      That ended that conversation. They turned to watch Bryan on the phone.
      "I don't want this. I don't want any part of it. I never did."
"Oh and apparently she did?!" Renee stood so close, hoping to hear what Nick was saying. "Nick-"
      "No dad. I'm not coming. Besides, you're there."
"Damn it Nick! She's asking for you."
      "So what?"
"This is your child!" Renee held one hand over her mouth in shock and the other on her husband's arm.
      "I'm not coming."
"Then, don't come back. Don't come back at all. I don't want to see you here." Bryan spat.
      Who was angrier? Nina, who scowled and glared as though she could kill Nick through the phone or Wes, who wanted to beat him to death and just keep beating him? He turned around, running both hands through his hair to keep them busy. "Son of a bitch." Wes hissed. Nina stumped away.

       "It's time." The doctor said.
A chill ran through Madison's spine. "I can't-" She stepped back.
       "I'll go with her mom." Nina placed her hands on mother's shoulder. Madison nodded.
       "No wait. He's safer inside." Lucille shook her head vehemently. "What if he isn't right? What if-"
       "You'll be fine. He'll be fine." Nina encouraged her. "I'll be with you."
       "What about Nick? Where is Nick. I'm not doing this without Nick."
      Nina bent to Lucille's level. She whispered into her ear, "Nick's not coming."
      "No-" Lucille shook her head, ready to defend him.
"I heard Bryan talking to him. He doesn't want to be here. He's not coming." Geegee watched in a corner in tears, knowing exactly what Nina was telling her. Lucille cried.

        Lucille held on to her baby. Geegee, the Atkins and Nina all staring down at him. "He's so cute." Geegee commented.
        "Yes he is. Aren't you? Marvin."
Nina gasped when she heard the name. "Luce." She smiled. "You gave in."
        "Well done Lucille. You did great. Such a beautiful baby." Renee smiled then went over to her and gave her a side hug.
        Lucille couldn't bring herself to smile. "Thanks."
"Let's give them some space." Nina said. She didn't want them in here any longer. They weren't even going to tell Lucille. At least this way they'll leave.
        Bryan was by the door when it suddenly opened. Wes walked right past them and straight to Lucille a small box in his hand. She looked up at him. He set it down on the side table, then proceeded to pull stray locks of her hair back before kissing her forehead. "Hey." He said. She burst into tears. He gently rested her head on his chest.
       Geegee closed the door behind them. "Who was that?" Renee asked.
       Geegee scoffed. "You shouldn't ask that."
"No. Let them." Nina's fury showed. She pointed at the closed door. "He's her friend who is madly in love with her. He was the most upset when he found out she was pregnant. He'd do anything for her. He even drove her here. And he's been here all night. Where's your son?" She folded her arms. Her eyes wide. Neither one of them spoke. Or looked at each other. "Tell me. Shouldn't he be here? He said he'll be here." They both looked at her, saying nothing.
       "What's going on?" Madison asked. The boiling point anger of her daughter too much for her not to notice. Quincy stood behind her. Having finally arrived.
       "You have to hear this." Nina chuckled wickedly. "Tell us."
The man who joked couldn't speak. "He's not coming."
       "What?" Madison asked, looking at him with furrowed eyebrows that matched her husband's. Bryan explained. "What is this? Is this a joke?"
       "Oh no mom. It's not."
Quincy held Madison and moved to the side. "Leave." Giving them room to walk past him. The word sounded like a threat.
       "We had no idea he would do this. We are just as shocked an-"
"Leave!" He yelled, cutting Bryan off. It wasn't right. He shouldn't shout in a hospital. He stood before Bryan and Renee. "Don't make me tell say it again. You wouldn't like it." He warned... more obviously.