6

She wasn't the only one dazed by the news. Madison however, recovered faster than both girls did. Geegee was having trouble digesting the words the doctor said. Lucille found herself standing in the corner of the room hoping the edge would open up and swallow her. She blinked rapidly, her eyes stinging with tears. A throat cleared. "How long?"
     "Three months." She answered her mother before she realised it.
      She turned sharply to look at her daughter backing her. "Give us the room would you?" The doctor nodded and left. "Lucille."      She started towards her. Seeing Lucille's body shake as she cried. "Lucille." She reached out for her.
      "Mom I'm sorry." Lucille turned abruptly. Looking extremely helpless.
      Madison pulled her into a tight hug. "No no. Shh..." Her voice soothing as she stroked Lucille's hair. Her heart shattered seeing Lucille that way for the first time since she was a little girl.
      "I'm sorry mom, I didn't-"
"It's okay."
      Lucille gasped. Only then thinking about her father. She stepped out of the hug. "D-daddy's going to- he'll-" She placed her hand on her stomach.
     "This is not about your father. This is about you and no one else. Okay?" Madison wiped away her daughter's tears with her thumbs. Geegee only watched. It was like a movie playing in front of her and there was nothing she could say. She couldn't even think straight. "Who's is it?" Madison asked.
     Lucille shivered just thinking about him. His face flashing in her mind. "N-n-nick. Nick Atkins."
     "Nick Atkins?" Geegee found her voice. "As in, you slept with Nick Atkins?"
     That's exactly how it works Geegee. Madison's forehead creased. "Who's Nick Atkins? Bryan Atkins son?" Lucille nodded.     "Okay. Geegee get the doctor. Let's make sure everything is alright, then we'll go home."
      "Home?" Geegee paused by the door when Lucille asked.
"Yes. You need to tell your father." Lucille's heart dropped to her stomach. Her mother saw the fear in her eyes. "It's okay. Geegee please go get him."

      The drive to the mansion was quiet. Geegee was dropped off at her place before they got to the house. Madison held her daughter's freezing hand as they walked to Quincy's office. It seemed like a longer walk than usual today. Lucille waited outside while her mother went in to talk to him first. With the door closed in front of her, she leaned her head on the door. Hoping to hear what was being said even though she knew she would only hear if someone was yelling.
       Quincy hung up the receiver and went back to work like Madison wasn't in the room. "Quin." She called. "Lucille's here, she wants to-"
      "Tell her to go home." He said calmly. Of course he already knew.
      "Quin, it's important." She shifted her weight to her right leg.
"Tell her to go home Maddy. I'll see her when I'm free."
      "Quincy she-"
"Damn it Madison!" He banged the desk. She jolted. As did Lucille behind the door. "Tell her to go home!" He enunciated the words.
     "Okay."

      Lucille stepped into the office, trembling and still reeling from hearing her father yell. Of course he already knew. She pulled on a straight face and her best act of confidence as she entered Bryan Atkins' office. Silently begging her legs not to turn to putty when she had to answer his questions.
      "Lucille, what are you doing here?" He assessed her, from her flipflop to her knee lengthened A-gown. "Are you feeling better?"
      "No. Not really. I Umm..." She closed the door, stepped closer to his desk and gently placed a letter on his desk. "This is my" Her voice squeaked, threatening to do more. "Resignation letter." She took a deep breath to shove the lump back down.
      Creased forehead and wide eyes stared at the letter and then at her. "What? Why?"
       "My dad needs me to work for him. I'm sorry, I know it's short notice. But he needs my help with a few things. And I start as soon as I'm well enough to."
       He pressed his hands together and held them in front of his nose, looking at the sheet of paper. "Alright." He dropped his hands and got to his feet. "I have to say, I'm sorry to see you go. It's been a pleasure working with you." He stretched out his hand for a handshake.
       She took it. "Thank you sir."
"Don't worry about your things I'll have someone take them over to your place before evening today." She nodded. There's no way she's doing this and telling Nick today. Thank goodness Suzanne wasn't in her corner. The lady probably wouldn't stop talking or asking questions.