25

One deep breath and Nick opened his eyes. 3:58. He noticed on his digital alarm clock. He rolled to the other side: where Lucille lay still asleep. Bringing his lips to her ear, he blew softly into it. She moaned. "Cilley." He kissed it gently, causing her to stir. "Cilley." He whispered. "Luce. Lucille."
       "Yeah?"
"It's time. Come on."
       "Are you ready yet?" She asked, eyes still closed.
"No." He knew what will come next. "I'll wake you when I am." Minutes later, they were heading down the stairs and heard the TV on. They decided, without communicating, to see what or who was up. The lights were off, the TV bright enough for them to see Marvin with a video game controller in his hand. "Shouldn't you be asleep master?"
      "But I'm not am I?" He knew his father's voice. But glanced anyway. "What are you guys doing up?"
      "I'm travelling remember?"
"This early?"
      "It wouldn't be so early when I get there." Marvin mumbled something. "You know, in two years you'll be going off to learn the family business."
      "Why?" He actually hadn't taken his eyes off the screen.
"I did it for six months. And your Grandfather thought it was a good idea to learn." Lucille answered.
      "Which one?"
She smiled. "Bryan."
      "Oh." It was barely audible.
Nick went to him and ruffled his hair. "Go to bed kid. See you in a few days."
      "Yeah see you." He scoffed. "It's not like you'll know if I do go to bed."
      "We're trusting you to." He ruffled his hair one more time before leaving.
      They were off . It was a thing with them. Lucille was his... luck. The only one he needed. And since he couldn't take her with him, as much time as he could spend with her was much preferred. She followed him to the hanger as usual. Where the jet was waiting. A hug and then a very long kiss. He rested his head on her's. She lifted her face and her cold nose touched his. "Bye." He got on the plane, the flight attendant taking his bag from him and stowing it away. He took his seat, crossing his legs as he relaxed into it. Taking one more look outside, seeing Lucille looking at him. Like she always did. Because she knows that's where he sits.

      At the end of an entirely long day, Nick sat in the bar of his hotel. Nursing the one drink he knew he wouldn't finish. A light tap on his shoulder and he was looking around. But she was already in front of him. "Hi. Mister Atkins." He looked her over. Her hands interlocked in front of her, shoulders high and quite the bright smile on her face. She scoffed. "I was... am" She corrected, shaking her head. "Your flight attendant."
      Raised eyebrows first, then his head as he started to nod. Should she still be here? "Of course. Hi." She sat on a stool a seat away from him. He didn't notice. Too busy thinking about his day tomorrow and all that would come with it. He stared down the glass of scotch. Feeling the scent of it come up his nose. He heard a scoff. It was from her.
      "Unbelievable." She turned to him. He only glanced. "I spent three hours on a plane with you. Attending to you" He turned his head... oh! She was talking to him. "And you don't even remember me. Or recognise me at least. I mean come on." She rolled her eyes. He could almost smile. "Three hours and then nothing. I don't even know what that is. And here I am, trying to be nice by saying hi and then this."
      Lucille would have fired her before her last sentence. "Excuse me, what is your name?"
      "Thelma. It was on my tag. But of course you didn't see that either."
      "You're in the wrong line of work if it's attention you're looking for. There are a lot of people who need a job. Would you like to lose yours? Someone would be very eager to take your place." He turned back to face his drink, feeling her eyes staring at him in shock. "It would give you more time to find a job the gives you attention. Instead of your passengers. As it should be." He heard her hiss, then he took a sip.
     Thelma sat there. A stool away from him thinking about what she'd said and what he'd said with very little effort in spite of her almost yelling him. Damn it. "Umm... Mister Atkins?" Just a glance he gave. "I apologise. But there's nothing wrong with noticing or remembering."
      He chuckled. "You must love arguing. I never said there was." He wasn't going to tell her he had a very busy day and unfortunately, his flight attendant whom he never expected to see in this hotel was not important to him. Or on his mind.
      "No you didn't. But the thing is..." She shifted to the stool that separated them seconds ago. Then they were talking. A full on conversation with changing topics. At least that's what it looked like.
      There was something else going on. Her fingers sneaking forward to graze his, noticeable flips of her long brown hair, the same smile that hid something more, not to mention full on placing her hand on his or his arm when she laughed at something she said. Nick didn't laugh, he only smiled. He knew what she was doing. He knew the game, the subtle hints it came with. He'd played too many times before without trying and it was happening again. The devil on his shoulder: why not? The angel on his other shoulder: this isn't the first time, so don't. The little devil's voice echoed and yelled a little louder, the exact same words. Why not indeed?