20

-Words escape me every time I'm with you. Including now. I've tried, between perfect and imperfect moments and I always lose the words and the will to express them. My love for you runs deep. Flowing through my veins and making me whole. Making me better than I was. Make me better for you. Be mine forever Lucille Lawes. Say you'll marry me.-
      Lucille couldn't get the words that echoed in his sweet sweet voice out of her head. She was walking into the Atkins' office building before she knew it. Marvin beside her. Practically being pulled along. "Marvin." Suzanne called out. "Lucille."
      "Suzy!" Marvin smiled.
Lucille stopped right in front of her. "Hi Suzanne." Her half smile was quick.
      "Hi cutie." She said to Marvin then turned to Lucille. "You look... is something wrong?"
      "No. But Umm... could you watch Marvin?"
"Of course."
      "I need to speak with Nick." Suzanne nodded. "Go with Suzy okay honeybee?" He nodded vehemently, moving over to Suzanne's side and  taking her hand. "I'll be a few minutes." The words came back again and her heart skipped a beat. She let out a deep breath and kept walking.
      "What's wrong with mummy?" Suzanne asked, watching her rush off. Marvin shrugged.
      He wasn't informed of her presence. Well, it was the weekend. No one was really working. Nick was leaning on the window behind his chair. Conversing with two other men when his office door flew open. His head snapped in it's direction. Almost losing his impassive look when he saw her. She looked at the other pair whose attentions she had also gained, then ignored them by lifting up the paper, glaring. Nick stood up straight, as unbothered by the fact that she'd found the note as he possibly could. "Wade, Winston. You'll have to excuse me. We'll continue this another time. Lucille Lawes, meet Travis Wade and Elias Winston. Vice versa."
       "Quincy Lawes' daughter?" Elias asked. Nick tried to be patient even though he wished they had left ten seconds ago.
       "Yes. Please excuse us boys." Travis arched a brow at her remark and smirked, looking back at Nick. Nick had folded his arms, he smiled small. "We have something important to discuss." She shook their hands as they walked out. The door finally closed and they were staring at each other. It felt like forever. Nick couldn't speak. What was she planning to say to him? Lifting the note up again, a scowl appeared on her face. "A note? You ask me to marry you in a note and expect me to do what, reply?"
       "I-"
"Shut up, I'm not done." His look held a smile. A gorgeous smile. "We're not in high school. You don't hide a note under someone's bed. Marvin's bed."
       "It was his pillow." He corrected
"What did I just say?" Nick bit his lower lip. He couldn't take his eyes off of her. Not that he wanted to. And yet there was a chance she will say no. "You think a girl wants to be proposed to in a note? A note? Honestly Nick, I'm surprised. You think I'll say yes to that? Your next girlfriend better beware."
      "I don't want another girlfriend." He shrugged.
"You really think I'll say yes to this?" He opened his mouth to speak, she stopped him. His smile only grew. Why? "You live in a fantastic fantasy Nicky." She took out the diamond ring he'd kept in the paper from her pocket and tossed it to him. The words and the act that followed made his smile vanish totally. Her scowl too was gone. His forehead creased. "I'm sorry Nick."
       "L-" He had to stop her. Everything seemed to be slipping away so suddenly.
       "You're going to have to do this properly."
Almost three seconds passed before The words sank in fully. His smile returned as he obeyed. The thought of her saying no suddenly a distant memory. Leaving the protective space that was behind his desk, slowly walking to her. His heart pounding beyond his moving feet. She held her head high. Knowing exactly what she ws doing to him. His eyes didn't leave hers. Not when he stopped in front of her, not when he was kneeling on one knee and not when he held up the ring. "Lucille Lawes. My Cilley. Will you marry me?"
      "Yes." She smiled ever so brightly. He was up and sweeping her off the ground in less than a second. Forgetting to put the ring on her finger.