27

But before that, on a bright and sunny day, when everything was supposed to be bright and happy and good like the sunshine was, it was gloomy for Lucille. She wished it would rain. The rain that matched her mood. Maybe a storm. She'd just come home from a business trip and didn't even notice Marvin watching her. He was worried. Very very. He couldn't forget the look on her face when she was yelling at Nick and now she barely smiled. They both didn't. Including Nick. But he felt his father deserved what he was getting and at the he same time, he couldn't believe they would break up. They wouldn't be together anymore. Divorced like some of the kids in his class and he was going to be like them. Somehow someway, he could tell there was a lot he didn't know. Mostly because Lucille had said a lot he didn't understand that unforgettable night.
        He waited five minutes then went knocking on her room door. She was here now because Nick was away on business. "Mother?" He called out before entering the room and closing the door behind him. She looked up. "Hi."
       She tried to smile. "Hey honeybee." She looked him over, he was stiff and wide eyed. "Is something wrong? And since when do you knock?"
       Her questions made him relax. Just a bit. "I was going to ask you the same thing. You've been away for weeks and dad he's been" He rubbed the back of his neck looking away from her. "Out of sorts I guess. And you look-"
       "Everything is fine honey. We've just been busy." She looked away.
       "But you've been busy before and neither one of you looked the way you do now plus dad never once called you. Or at least I didn't hear you two over the phone." He had to spin it differently. Because Nick had been calling.
       "We've been really busy okay?"
He moved closer, hands in his pockets. "So you're not going to tell me?"
       She turned to him with a smile. He looked so much like Nick... Always has. Her eyes stung. "I don't know what you're looking for Marvin. Nothing is wrong."
       "Maybe you should try more make up to hide those eye bags. It's not good for business." She laughed at his joke, grabbing her hand bag. He always made her laugh. Marvin sighed, there was no other way. "You're angry with him because he cheated on you."
       Halfway through rummaging her bag she froze. "What?" She faced him. "Did he tell you?" Is he even supposed to know what that means? Oh right, he's Fourteen.
       "No." He might get into trouble, for this. He bit his lip. "I was there."
       Her forehead creased, confused. "There were?"
"I heard everything."
       He couldn't possibly mean- "Every what?" Her voice was stern.
His forehead creased too, he looked at his shoes. "I- I- when you told Perdita to take us out, I stayed behind." Looking up, Lucille was frowning. Waiting to hear what he had to say. Probably thinking about firing Perdita too. "I snuck back inside and I saw you and dad talking. Yelling mostly." She closed her eyes slowly and turned away. "I'm sorry he hurt you mother."
       Lucille was trying to remember exactly what she'd said to him that night. All she vividly recalled was divorce and something about flowers. "What did I say to him?"
       He recovered quickly from confusion over her question. "You..." She listened carefully, hanging on every word he said. Remembering it... rather like it was an old movie until it was done, then she ran her hand through her hair. After seconds of silence, Marvin spoke up, "Are you really getting a divorce?"
      "Yes." She took his hand and held tight.
Ok. He understood that. Will the others? "What about Darin and Lacey? They'll ask questions and-"
      "Honeybee, don't worry. It's not for you to handle okay? I'll tell them and I'll answer their questions."
      He nodded. "I'm sorry about dad."
"I'm sorry too." She squeezed his hand tighter.
       Okay, he'd told her everything she'd said that night which included the parts he didn't understand. He hoped for an explanation and got zilch. Which meant she wouldn't tell him. But he'll have to find out somehow... and eventually. But hopefully soon because it was gnawing at him.

       Weeks passed and Lucille hadn't done what she said she would do. She hadn't called for the children and sat with them and explained what was going on. Maybe she wanted to do it with Nick. But Nick wasn't around either and now, Lacey and Darin were asking questions. So Marvin answered. The pair stared at him after he made the statement that was less than fifteen words.   Lacey didn't quite get it. "Daddy cheated like on a test?"
       "No dummy." Darin nudged her. "Not like on a test. Like-"
"He kissed another woman." Marvin completed.
       "Ew." Lacey squeezed her face... kissing was gross.
"Yeah." But Marvin took her meaning different. "Mother found out and she's upset. So they're breaking up."
       "I thought you said divorced." Darin asked.
"It's the same thing. It'll make more sense when you're older."
       "It makes sense now." Lacey admitted. Good to know. The room was suddenly cold and sad. The weight of Marvin's news and it's explanation sinking in. "Can't she forgive him?"
       "I don't think she wants to Lacey."
"Is she still sad?" Darin asked.
       "Very. But you can't tell her I told you okay? You wanted to know why mother and dad haven't been together lately so I decided to tell you."
       "But I don't want them to break up." Lacey said.
"Yeah me too." Darin agreed.
       "Me too. But dad hurt her. I don't want her to hurt again do you?"
       "Isn't he sorry? He wouldn't do it again would he?" Darin shifted in his chair.
       Marvin swallowed. Maybe this is why his mother should have done the talking. "I think there's a lot we don't understand."
       "You don't understand? But your older." Lacey looked confused and concerned.
       "We'll find out eventually."
"I don't like this." Darin folded his arms.
       "No one does." Marvin ruffled his younger brother's hair.