Chapter 7

Dusk's POV

_________________________________________

I told Dawn about my fear of doing something I would regret around her, and she completely understood.

I spotted Thresh standing tense and growling at something, so I turned around and saw the person I hated the most.

My father.

He sometimes slapped me and called me a disgrace to the family. My mom died when I was young, so if it weren't for Thresh, I'd most likely be nothing but a bag of bruises.

My father came closer, but didn't risk Thresh's snapping jaws and Lupa's low growls.

"What do you want?" I threateningly asked my father.

"Why, to take you back of course. You don't need this stupid dog," he said, causing Thresh to growl, "or that stupid girl." He said smugly, then smirked at me.

I angrily said two words that would mean my father's demise. "Thresh, bite."

Thresh jumped up and bit my father's neck. My father's eyes widened, realizing how much both Thresh and Dawn meant to me. Thresh twisted, and we heard a sharp snap. Dawn buried her head in my neck, and I held her close. She shouldn't have had to see that.

Dawn was unlike any other girl I'd ever met. She was sweet, and completely innocent. Well, not so anymore. However, I was the opposite. My dad killed my mom in front of me when I was five. He beat me, and he might've killed me if Thresh hadn't showed up and stopped him.

Dawn looked up at me, and I could tell she wasn't happy with me about ordering Thresh to attack my dad. She pushed away from me and whistled for Lupa. Lupa looked at me and nodded, telling me that despite what Dawn thought, I did the right thin to keep everyone safe. I sunk down on a rock, not following Dawn, and not knowing if she realized I didn't follow. Thresh whined at me, apologizing.

"It wasn't your fault, bud. I asked you to. You aren't responsible." I said to him, stroking his fur. He whined again, but laid down next to me as I watched Dawn walk away, possibly out of my life.