Chapter 2

Dawn's POV

_________________________________________

I jumped when I heard the pounding. "And that's what I was going to say." Dusk said, and me up to my room. Once we weren't jumping in fear, Dusk explained.

"Well, my father knows about Thresh but not about you because I kept you secret. When I said I was spending a few days at a friend's house, he followed me. I probably wouldn't have known if it wasn't for Thresh." He said, and looked at me with sad eyes when he joined me on the bed.

I knew the story about Dusk's dad. I was one of the only people who knew. His dad despised him, and would sometimes slap him. If it wasn't for Thresh, he would most likely have endured worse.

I patted him on the back, but when I moved my hand away he stiffened. I didn't question why. His father was usually responsible for that.

Anyway, Dusk was going to stay at my house for tonight, and then we were going to leave to find somewhere safe to raise our Spirit Animals. I hadn't told him that I had a crush on him since we were twelve. And I didn't know what to say about it.

"Well, it is late, so do you want to try to sleep for tomorrow?" I asked, and he nodded. I told him to take the bed, but he refused unless I promised to share it. He hated me sleeping on the floor. I still cannot figure out why.

I fell asleep just as a pair if arms wrapped around me. I was so tired, I didn't object. Just snuggled closer. Tomorrow, we'd look for a new home. Little did we know how hard it would be.