Chapter 74

• Dedicated to You, yes you, reading this right now :)

April's POV

I pulled him by the hand, a small smile pulling my lips upwards. "Shut your eyes."

"Okay, they're shut." His voice was muffled as he spoke.

I took a deep breath, reaching over to flick on the light switch. The power made a low humming noise before the lights flickered on one by one, starting from the very back to the front. "Okay. Open your eyes." His eyes slowly opened. He didn't need to say anything. Admiration was evident through the slight part of his lips, the way the muscle in his cheek was no longer tightened.

"April," he breathed, "how the hell did you find this place?"

"Slap's boyfriend used to own it. He told me it was about to shut down due to lack of funds and so I asked if I could give the old thing one last shot. I mean, I thought it'd be pretty fun."

I watched his expression carefully, expecting the worse. "We have it to ourselves?"

"Hmm-hmm."

He finally looked at me, his expression blank. I held my breath. Then, he pulled me forward with one arm and bent down, pressing his lips against mine.

After what felt like an eternity, he pulled away so I was leaning back as though we were in a 70's movie. He smiled at me crookedly, brushing his lips on my cheek and looking completely and utterly breath-taking.

"I love it." He erupted into the smile he was holding back before practically shooting forward and pulling me with him. I stumbled at the sheer speed of it. He looked like a kid in a candy shop. For a few moments, I felt as though I had floated up over my body and was watching us both – two kids: one werewolf, one human having the time of their life.

Arcades were awesome.

He spoke over his shoulder. "You know, kissing you is great and all, but sometimes, it really hurts my back having to bend down so much."

"You're such a jerk. And if that's the case, I won't kiss you anymore."

"Hey, don't say that! You drool all over me April, you wouldn't survive not being able to kiss me!" And so began the petty arguments.

Then, we had a competitive game of ice-hockey, where I annihilated him, much to his irritation – I was way too competitive when it came to things that were nonphysical, aka sports. Then, we played an ancient racing game, where the colour palette on the screen was sepia. Even the chairs and controls were battered.

Finally, glancing at my phone time, I sighed. It had been an hour and a half and the lights were beginning to dim - we had a cap on the amount of electricity that could be used.

"Aiden." He hummed in response, immersed in the game. "We need to go. Our time with the arcade is up."

He tore himself away from the machine as soon as his game began to collapse in on itself, slowly losing power. Stumbling back a few steps, we watched the machines turn to black screens in a muted silence. Then, I made my way around various obstacles, some draped in white cloth and others boxed up, until I reached the door leading out to the street. Glancing back, I shuddered. "I don't want to be here when the lights go. It'll be a graveyard for games. That's creepy."

He rested his head in the crook of my shoulder where my mark tingled vivaciously. "Thank you, April. This was one of the best experiences ever." His lips moved against the skin of my neck and it was with some difficulty that I managed to pull away so I could turn towards him.

I raised an eyebrow. "Surely you didn't think that was all of the surprise, did you?" At his expression I spluttered. "That's not it. Look, the night is still young."