Chapter 46

Aiden's POV

Today was the day April woke up. It had been nearly 6 months since the accident and she'd finally shown a physical sign of response. What had been a mere twitch of the fingers turned to increased breathing to the fluttering of eyelids to the final, perfect moment she opened her eyes.

Of course she was disoriented and confused at first – waking up to bright hospital lights and the intense smell of disinfectant dazed her. Doctors immediately swept into the room and ushered us out to check on her - mainly to check her memory. When Dr. Ramone exited with a small smile on his face, rare for such a passive man, a united sigh of relief sounded from each and every one of our lips.

I slowly edged my way into the room after politely letting her parents and sister in first. After 40 minutes of pure agony, I finally entered the room. April's back was to me and she was now wearing a clean gown, blending in with the pallid blue and white of the room. Her hair had grown longer and her bare arms were planted on either side of the bed to support herself. She looked too thin to even stand.

I felt my breathing quicken as I neared the bed and paused, hesitant all of a sudden. "April?" My voice came out croaky and rough and I started at how loud it suddenly sounded.

Her head jerked up and she turned slightly, almost painfully. I quickly stepped fully into the room and rounded the bed so I stood in front of her. She lifted her head, her eyes stirring with life after six goddamn months of being asleep. It could have either been my imagination or the catch of the light at that moment, but I could have sworn I saw them brighten. But the corners of her mouth stayed furled downwards. I slowly sunk into the familiar seat near the edge of the bed and searched her face for any sign of recognition.

"Aiden?" Her voice made my stomach jump and I sat forward eagerly at her somewhat dazed expression.

"I'm here," I reached out to place my hand on hers, but paused. She liked her personal space. I would wait, I thought to myself. 

Despite her thin and paled complexion, my heart still shook back to life at the sheer sight and sound of her. Her waking up woke up some part of me too – some part that I thought was gone forever, but April Cruella Evans had managed to find for me again.

April's POV

I frowned, my entire body feeling alien and uncomfortable. It was as though an artificial heaven had been made right up for me already. I'd spoken to the doctors, I'd spoken to my family – but nothing they said registered in my mind. All I could think about was Aiden, the fox, Nina, the car going over the bridge. They whirled in my mind like a cloudy hurricane and never ceased to die down. I was numb, inside and out and I hated it.

"April?" My head jerked up at the sound of that voice I'd so badly wanted to hear – the one voice that set my mind into motion in order to finally process what was going on, the one voice that made my heart thud even more irregularly.

I tried to turn but it felt like my bones were made of glass and I couldn't seem to do it; my eyes stung at the helplessness I felt.

The next thing I knew was Aiden coming before me – I lifted my head and my eyes widened a fraction of an inch. This was the face I had been searching for the moment I woke up. He looked different... Like Aiden but different. He had gotten a lot thinner and his cheekbones jutted out sharply and his eyes were tired looking. He looked ill but relieved and his mouth opened and closed as he looked down on me. Probably because you look like something out of The Walking Dead, April.

"Aiden," my voice came out strangled and weak and I cursed it inwardly. His eyes lit up and he leaned forward eagerly, his pink lips curling up at the edges in a non-sarcastic way. I tried smiling back but my mind was buzzing far too much with questions.