Chapter 26 (Part 1)

April's POV

I gazed out the window with mild interest, taking in the view of neatly primed gardens and blossoms of colours. There was even a swimming pool glistening in the sunlight and several people lounging near it. How is it so warm here? How far did we travel exactly? It's autumn where I live and it seems to be summer over here. The door opened and Emma walked in, beaming.

"April, there's going to be a pool party here today and we figured we may as well introduce you to the rest of our pa- friends." She smiled at me warmly.

"What?" I said stupidly. "The deal was that I meet his dad. Not the rest of the social circle." I involuntarily whined, shaking my head.

She sighed, her eyes dampening like the canopy of a tropical rain forest. "Come on April. You're going to have to meet them at least so that Aiden's father believes you. It'll be very suspicious if Aiden's friends haven't even seen his mate - I mean girlfriend," she reasoned. I sighed angrily and dragged my fingers through my hair - I hated it when people used leverage over me. And the word 'mate' especially freaked me out. It sounded like a ritual.

After five minutes of arguing with Emma, I finally succumbed. Then, another five minutes of arguing over an outfit ensued, in which I managed to semi-win, although I would have much preferred to remain in my  t-shirt and jeans. I ended up in a white, floral dress that stood out against my tanned skin and kept my silver pendant on that was a gift for my 16th birthday. I never took it off. 

"April, you look beautiful." Emma grinned at me. "I need to go down now and help Carlos with the BBQ, so come down when you're ready. You'll be fine." She added at my expression.

"Wait." I called after her. "How far did we travel exactly? It feels like summer here and it was autumn back home." I could feel the confusion on my face was evident.

A pause. "We traveled far. I mean, it's sunny a lot over here but there can be some mean thunderstorms. You were sleeping like a baby in the car. We were going all night and all day, on back roads too to cut back on journey time. We're in Atlanta now."

"How the heck did we travel so far in such a short amount of time?" I choked, my stomach dropping.

"We travel fast - and we use short cuts." She explained sheepishly, leaving me to get finish getting ready. 

Just as I had left the room and was about to descend the stairs, I realized my hand was empty. My phone. Despite it not being the most important of objects in the moment, I felt as though I needed it with me; I wanted something familiar in my hands to grip and fiddle with.

But when I entered the room again to find it, it wasn't there. After searching every inch of my room, panic rose in my stomach. Where was it? I need it. After 15 minutes, I was in complete panic mode. Partly because I'd accidentally walked in on someone, unannounced, and partly because the noise outside was growing louder, indicating more people.

Gulping, I turned slowly so I was facing the corridor that belonged to Aiden. It seemed so uninviting - a stark contrast to the sunlight that was filtering in through the large glass windows. I shuddered and started towards the corridor. He said to only go to him if there was an emergency. Well, this is an emergency - I need my phone, god damn it. As soon as I entered the corridor, darkness shrouded me and the atmosphere felt colder - I regretted wearing the dress now.

Peering through the darkness, I strained my ears for a sign of noise. I took small steps towards a doorway and paused when I reached it, clenching my fists and practicing what to say when he opened the door - if he opened the door. I knocked tentatively. I waited several, impatient moments and was about to turn away when it creaked open.