Chapter 16

Aiden's POV

The party had ended and I was racing through the woods in my wolf form. The opposing pack had come to the party tonight to start trouble, the little bastards. Word got round and they found out that I had a 'mate.' They wanted to meet her but I couldn't risk it - they would know that we weren't mates, especially with her reluctance to act like my mate and the fact that we were polar opposites.

The wind blew past me and I savoured the cold air as it hit my fur. The power, speed and agility I felt when I was in wolf form was exhilarating. 10 times better than being in my human form and having to deal with petty, mundane matters. But you need to do this Aiden. If you want the one thing that your mum promised you then you have to keep on going with this act. My conscious reminded me. I sensed 5 other wolves close behind me in a protective V shape and tensed my muscles as I made the final leap to the border.

When I reached there were no other wolves in sight - but I had to be careful. The other pack were hungry for blood and if we turned a blind eye to them, we'd be killed. I started ordering Carlos, Beau, Diego, Emma and Daniel mentally, telling them where to patrol - we had to stay here all night to keep watch.

Only Diego knew why this 'mate' business was so important to me - he grew up with me and he knew why I was the way I am today. Why I still needed my mother so close to me even to this day.

7 hours later

As we reached home, my mind flashed back to the confrontation we had had with one of the wolves from the other pack only a few hours earlier, when the sun had peeped over the tops of the trees, bringing with it fatigue. They tried to creep up on me from behind - they'd very nearly snapped my neck. But the wolf that had attacked was big - stupid, reckless. I had more speed, agility and sense than it - and so it wasn't my body that lay lifeless in the woods, it was theirs.

This meant war - I'd killed one of theirs so now they had to kill one of ours. But I'll deal with that when it comes to it. As long as it's none of the gang who dies in retribution. Hopefully it'll be me. I pushed away the overwhelming feeling of guilt that clouded the corners of my mind - it was because I could feel myself shifting into human form again - and with that, all of my humane vulnerability. Once I had slipped into my clothes, I decided I needed a drink - it was the only thing that would help calm me down.

I walked into the kitchen and saw April sitting at the kitchen counter looking oblivious to all the shit that went down tonight.  She looked so naive and innocent - everything I wasn't. There was only a small part of me that felt bad that I'd dragged this girl into this mess. But I pushed it to the back of my mind - too much guilt makes the world drown.

As soon as I entered, she instantly tensed and put up all of her defenses. She still didn't trust us. Good. So she's smart enough to know that she shouldn't feel so relaxed around here. I walked to the fridge and got out a bottle of Bacardi, ignoring her. I couldn't deal with her on top of what had just happened. Then, I noticed a giant burn mark on the ceiling and looked at April who was shifting on her feet uncomfortably.

I sighed and began walking out the door - I need to sleep, drink and smoke. The three things that helped me ignore my vices. I was about to leave when a small arm stuck out in front of me. I glared down at April. Can't she see that I'm exhausted?

"Do you have a problem?"

"Sit down Aiden. I need to ask you some questions." She said solemnly.

"Wait. First let me ask you one," I replied trying to find something to get me out of here quickly, "Why the hell is there a giant ass burn mark on the ceiling?" Her face dropped.