Chapter 13

April's POV

I slowly walked back to my room. There was going to be a party. Here. Tonight. I've never been to a party before - I've never been invited. Not that I'd want to go. Right now I envied Nina and Kayla - they were naturals socialists whereas I, just didn't know how to act in front of anyone.

I think I might take Aiden's advice and stay in my room. Yes, that's what I'll do.

The door opened without further warning and Nina and Kayla walked in holding dresses and a curling wand. They both looked delighted - too bad I felt as though a hurricane was brewing between my temples.

Nina gaped at me for a moment. "April, are you falling asleep? Get up." She grinned, throwing a pillow at me. 

"I'm not going."

They both fell quiet and shared a look. Oh no. Shifting backwards until my back hit the headboard, my head shook from side to side stubbornly. Then, before I could protest, they'd already begun leaping on me, pestering and pleading for me to not act, and I quote 'like a baby.'

"We don't know these people that well, it'll be weird without you." Kayla reasoned. "Plus... the party is just downstairs. Would it not be strange if you don't make an appearance after coming all this way?" 

"We need you, April. I'm your wing women, you crazy lady."

I scoffed at Nina, "I think you'll find I'm your wing women, Ni."

"Please Ap," Nina finally said, gripping onto my arm as though I would relent.

In the end, I was tired and not willing to fight with them so I told them I'd come down later. They made me promise that I would keep to my word and I could never break a promise, which totally sucked because I really didn't want to go. I didn't fit in here. I didn't fit in anywhere.

But then again, I did need to protect them.

So I first helped them get ready. Stalling, I deliberately took my time curling Kayla's hair because as soon as they were finished, their attention would be riveted on me. After promising I wouldn't dress like a tramp or break my promise, they left, with me practically shoving them out. Flopping down onto the mattress again, I massaged my temples in agony, not looking forward to the night to come.

1 hour later

The party was officially in full swing. The sounds of chanting reached my room and I turned in my bed and slammed my head into the pillow, wanting the noise to go away. I gulped at the thought of joining it. I knew that Kayla and Nina would make true to their promise of coming up here and dragging me down in a bodycon dress, so I flipped around, thinking.

I calculated it in my head - if I go down now, then I can stay for 20-30 minutes and then come back up - Nina and Kaya would be happy if I showed my face, even for a few moments. Squatting on the floor, I squinted into the cupboard, debating what to wear. It was strange choosing clothes that weren't my own. They were nicer than mine, I thought grimly. In the end I decided on a pair of black ripped jeans, a black ribbed vest and a black cropped jacket on top. Wow, the creativity with this one is strong. 

On my table top, someone had kindly bought me various items of makeup - I would probably steal some when I escaped. I quickly put on makeup, making my eyes look darker and my dark circles less bruised-looking. Swiping on some gloss, I smacked my lips together. 

I looked like crap.

Oh well.

Outside, the noise was even louder and the walls were vibrating with its might. When I reached downstairs, people of all ages filled the hallways to the brim, the front door open to the night wind. Right at the bottom of the stairs were a group of boys, clearly tipsy, who were jeering at girls - all of whom were avoiding them. I twisted my hair around nervously; suddenly, I had forgotten what I would do with my hands when I was just standing. I was about to turn around and flee back when Nina spotted me.