Chapter 68

April's POV

"When are we going to go back?" Aiden asked. 

"To what? Reality? Can't we just remain oblivious for a little while longer?"

He grimaced down at me, cheeks flushed with cold. I glanced up at the steely horizon line and frowned, "it just had to be cold on our day out, didn't it?"

His lip quipped from one corner very slightly. "Because our luck is just that good."

Leaning my cheek against his shoulder, I inhaled deeply. He shook with silent laughter, "this would be a really romantic moment if it didn't smell of piss and petrol."

I didn't bother lifting my head, instead, letting my eyes become heavy, as I walked on blindly. "Way to ruin a moment, moron."

"You don't like moments." 

"I don't." I admitted.

My phone vibrated in my pocket for the hundredth time. Aiden carried on walking ahead, hands in pockets. "Your mom again?"

"Hmm-hmm."

He turned around, expression sincere. "Just talk to her, April. You can't avoid her forever."

I grimaced. But I can try. "If I pick up –"I hesitated.

He finished the sentence for me – "if you pick up, she'll want you to come home so you can pack the rest of your things and leave. And if you tell her you're with me, that'll make her even more mad."

I pressed my lips together, his words opening a familiar wound. "If I pick up, she'll demand to know where I am. I already had to lie to her once when I said I stayed with Nina last night." I said, guilt making my stomach twist. 

He laughed, "and look at the state of us. I don't know why we thought sleeping in a meadow would bode well for us."

I agreed, falling into step with him. There were clumps of grass still in my hair and I was barely able to wash my face in the diner bathroom since the mirror was so streaked with dirt. I felt filthy

My phone rang again. I picked up:

Mum: April? Thank goodness, you finally picked up –

Me: Mum, I'm fine. Why do you sound so stressed?

Mum: (Voice hard) – when are you coming back from Nina's house? You know how much packing we have left.

Me: I thought we were still planning to leave at the end of this summer?

Mum: (Tone softer now, more hesitant.) I was thinking it would be better to leave sooner. Your dad and Olivia miss us; we could surprise them and come early.

Me: But what about finishing up here? My friends, school, my apartment? You can't seriously expect me to drop all of that in what? A week? (Aiden looked at me, his expression startled.)

Mum: Of course I don't expect us to leave in a week – god, I'm not stupid. Look, I'm not discussing this on the phone. I need to speak to you – in person – so come home within the hour please.

Me: But mum –

Mum: April. No buts – you come home in the next two hours maximum then – no complaints. Seriously. I'll see you later.

And with that, she clicked the phone off and I was left on the other end, increasingly agitated by her insistence to control my every move. I turned to Aiden, mouth open, ready to explain the bits of the conversation he heard, but he was typing a message onto his phone, fingers flying rapidly.