Chapter 44

April's POV

I slammed my locker shut, groaning at the prospect of another day of school again. We'd come back from Antonio's on Sunday and I spent the entire night catching up on school work, resulting in some heavy looking bags under my eyes.

I slipped into the classroom quickly before the lesson started and caught sight of Kayla from the corner of my eye – she was sitting on the opposite side of the classroom, mirror and lipstick in hand. She caught me staring and gave me an odd look before slamming her mirror shut and turning away. Operation 'save Kayla' has begun.

Lately, I found her eyes looking brighter than ever, but her smile never seemed to reach her eyes anymore. Me, Nina and a rather unwilling Emma had a talk before school – we figured making small talk with Kayla wouldn't work anymore. We had to have an intervention in order to get her to talk with us, especially when Noah wasn't around.

The rest of the day was spent in a miserable silence, me and Nina pondering over solutions. The only good thing was of course seeing Aiden actually smile in the school corridors, although most of the time, I just saw him leaning against lockers rather than in actual lessons. I'm surprised he hasn't been kicked out yet.

At the end of the school day, I glanced up at my reflection and took a deep breath – if Aiden or any of the gang found out about what we were doing, they wouldn't let us go anywhere near Kayla, especially because of Noah. I plugged in my headphones and prepared for the journey home; the rest of them had somewhere to go for 'business' meaning a lift wasn't even an option and Nina had to stay behind for another detention.

"Hey, April!" A familiar voice called from somewhere behind me. I spun around on my heel. My eyes automatically narrowed at the caller - Noah.

"Noah." Icaught movement inside the car he was sitting in and saw Kayla in the passenger seat, avoiding my hard gaze.

"Want to talk?"

"Talk? Seriously?" My voice was incredulous – why would they want to talk? I thought they were all anti-April?

"Yeah – I guess it's time we sort this out like adults. Where's Aiden?" His voice turned cold, as though a switch had been flipped in him.

"He's busy - I can call him?" I offered. He nodded in response and pulled the car door open roughly. This is strange. Noah and Kayla wanting to talk to me? To Aiden? This isn't right.

"Meet us Richmond point at 5 instead – we'll have plenty of time to talk then." Noah called from the car, the engine already roaring. I was about to reply but they had already screeched out of the car park, leaving me in the approaching darkness of the school car park.

Great.

1 hour later

"April, why the fuck did you agree to meet with them?" Aiden glared down at me.

I glared back at him. "He wanted to meet! This is an improvement from them hating us - well, you mainly."

He rolled his eyes and mumbled something to himself. "Did he even tell you where we had to meet?"

"Yes. Some place called Richmond Point at 5."

"Great work little A," Beau said, resting his arm on my shoulder lightly. I grumbled at him – currently, we'd been walking around in circles because no-one knew where to go – and they were all blaming me for it.

"How long have you lived here again?" Daniel's voice drifted from behind me with the wind.

"I don't know where every single place is, Daniel." Aiden slung his arm around my other shoulder tiredly; I flinched at first at the sudden contact, but then relaxed and leaned into him, savouring his body warmth.