Chapter 6

April's POV

I avoided Jerkface's surprisingly beautifully coloured eyes. My shoes suddenly seemed a lot more interesting - I wasn't sure if he'd hurt me in front of the kidnappers or wait until we were alone. Either way, my hands were still trembling.

"Please. Sit down." The dark haired, green eyed driver boy said. 

I dragged my feet to the chair, keeping my eyes on the boy at all times with a mixture of apprehension and bewilderment. To be fair, they did not seem any older than I was, which simply accentuated the wackiness of the situation. Sitting as far from Jerkface as I could physically be, I perched at the edge of my seat so that my elbows were leaning on the table top. 

"Well,  I'm not sure how to explain this all," the dark haired, green-eyed boy gestured around him. "But, we'll begin by introducing ourselves and we'll explain this - this situation to you." 

"I'm Diego." He said, shooting me a smile. 

The honey-haired one spoke next. "Daniel." 

"I'm Beau and I'm better than all of the people in this room, so if you want to be friends with anyone, you know who to come to." The other boy winked. 

"Carlos." The other boy with the stern eyebrows and serious expression greeted. His arm was resting around the flame-haired girl, their bodies positioned impossibly close to one another. 

"I'm Emma," the red-head spoke, her voice warm like buttered rum. "I cannot wait for you to get to know us." Her emerald eyes shone with sincerity, though at that moment in time, I wanted nothing more than to run away from her. 

After a couple of minutes of silence, Diego spoke to the blonde positioned at the far end of the table. "Donna, introduce yourself at least." She stared at me through what seemed to be perpetually narrowed eyes. 

"I'd rather not introduce myself to her. She's not one of us. It's pathetic that we're even contemplating this situation right now, especially with the way it'll reflect upon our pack." Her words flew over my head, though some managed to pierce my heart with their feathery deadliness.  

Donna tucked her blonde hair behind one ear carefully and shot me a measured look of distaste before slamming her chair back and walking out of the room. After a moment of what felt suspiciously like stunned silence, my eyes involuntarily flickered to Jerkface. 

"Aiden." One word was all that came out of his sharp-tongued, bitter mouth. 

I flinched slightly. 

"And what's your name?" Emma asked, her eyes probing and yet gentle. 

"April." The sound barely came out of my mouth; it was merely a croak, a hoarse whisper amongst the voices of these confident, strange kidnappers. 

"That is a beautiful name. Is that a British accent?" Emma smiled at me, eyebrows rising.  

I nodded silently. 

"Well, April. There's something I think we should tell you." Diego said giving me a small, pained smile. "Aiden? Care to explain?"

Aiden glanced at me and leaned against the counter top, looking at me with those unfathomable eyes before launching into the speech that would ultimately ruin my life.

"I need a girl. Well, my father wishes for me to find a girl – a mate more specifically to symbolize my transition into giving a fuck in the world. The only reason I am doing this is because I need a few things that are very dear to me," he trailed off here. "I chose you – a random girl off the side of the street. I'm going to become the Alp - I mean leader of our – our group. I needed a girl who would pretend to be my mate - my girlfriend of sorts – any girl, to be honest. But with the pressure of time weighing down on my decision, I chose someone random. I do apologize." His apology was all words and no substance, a mere tendril of meaningless babble that came from his mouth.