Chapter Thirty Three

Megan

Stares.
Whispers.
More stares.

Megan strode down the chromatic hall of W Industries. Her countenance giving nothing away, as if not concerned by the eyes and hushed voices sweeping down her back. Some familiar faces she didn't know by name greeted her. Surprising. She'd only been here twice. The whole time, these people were either busy ogling their boss or in some cases, they were busy getting a heart attack by the sight of their boss.

Her palms grew colder as she finally caught the sight of Wade's office. Rianna, his secretary, was looking on her laptop when she approached.

"Good morning, Mrs. Simon," Rianna said cheerfully. Megan almost stumbled on her heels. "Mr. Simon is on the phone but you're welcome to come in, of course."

"Thank you, Rianna," she croaked out.

She hadn't given much thought about what would go down today. Megan only came to his office to finalize the fundraising for her project proposal. It was long overdue. If she had a choice, she wouldn't go through it until Wade bothered to reach out to her. But that hadn't happened yet. Alas, her pride wouldn't let her give those sexist board members some sick satisfaction that they scared her off either.

Wade—all dark and brooding—gradually came to sight as she cautiously pushed his door open. His icy stare digging a hole through her head as the deep timbre of his voice embraced her ears. "Make sure of it. Of course. I need the email tonight. Okay. Bye."

She couldn't believe how soothing it was by just being in his presence. Two weeks of no contact made her thought that Wade wasn't in her realm anymore. Like he never really existed and all of it was just a bad dream.

Wade pressed the intercom. "No calls. No visitors."

His beautiful set of aquamarine created a sensual path down her body and Megan couldn't help but also have her fill.

His face was the most stoic she'd ever seen it. Void of anything. Unreadable. The ends of his hair were sticking out in every direction, as if he ran his fingers through it many times. His body was slacked against his chair. His callused hands were lying flat on his stomach while his left ankle was resting on his right knee. He's wearing a black polo under his equally dark suit jacket and his pants were the color of midnight. They fitted really well on his body. Tailor-made just for him. He was still as gorgeous as ever. As if what happened didn't lose him some sleep.

"Long time no see, wife," Wade said in a low tone.

Those five simple words ignited places in her body as if touched by the rough pads of his finger.

Megan cleared her throat, ignoring his calculating stare and the slight upward on his lips. "I'm here to discuss the fundraising strategies of the project I'm proposing." And then she added when he wouldn't stop his unwanted perusal, "I want to keep this professional, please."

That snapped his eyes back up. For a long moment, they only stared. Megan was the first to look away. The silent seducing was too much... He dropped his ankle and moved closer to his table. His clasped hands rested on the surface. "Of course. The board was already waiting for your final plans."

Megan jutted her chin and squared her shoulders as if preparing for battle. She walked toward him and took one of the seats before his table. She placed the folder in front of him. "I've found several companies that would be more than happy to be a part of this project. Their contacts were already passed down to the research department and they are just waiting for your approval."