Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Megan

"Oh my God. Have you guys seen who's the Sexiest Man Alive this year?"

Megan Carmichael and Autumn Stones gave Isabella Harris a blank look before going back to their scribbling. Unlike the latter who just finished taking her exams, the two women had been terribly trying to study for their own that was supposed to come next week. But that seemed to be proven impossible. More so when Isabella flipped her blonde hair on her shoulders, preparing to talk their ears off about this newest, chosen Sexiest Man Alive.

"Like, have you even checked Twitter? The cover of People's Magazine has been retweeted like a hundred thousand times."

Autumn tilted her head. "Do we look like we have time to check out Twitter?" She gestured to the tons of papers littering their desk. "Huh? Do we?"

Megan snickered softly. Still not looking at them, she continued highlighting some keywords in her textbook. "I've seen it. Washboard abs, thick biceps, light jaw stubble, and bright blue eyes. Another pretty boy as always."

She heard Isabella gasped. "Babe, Wade Simon is all man. You should double-check."

"Sure. When I have time."

"God, you guys suck."

Autumn rolled her eyes. "Go suck someone off, instead of being a sucker just because you're finally free to go on vacation."

Megan and Isabella laughed loudly, oblivious to the attention they captured.

Thankfully, Isabella didn't reply, clearly sensing that her friend was almost to the brink of choking her to death. Silence descended on their table as the chatter in the cafeteria grew louder, signaling that the afternoon break and the rush of students were coming.

But then, Isabella suddenly smacked both of her hands on the table. Megan and Autumn's eyes widen in surprise as their heads swiveled toward her. "I just remembered! Bryan's hosting a huge birthday party next week. You guys coming?"

Autumn was nonchalant, immediately turning back to her notebook. "Sure, whatever."

Megan was another story, though. She began to fiddle with her pen, biting her lips as she thought of ways to gently decline the invitation. "I don't know..."

Isabella reached for her busy hand and smiled at her. "I understand if you didn't want to go. But I swear, it's going to be fine. You might only see him once, and that's it. He's going to be very busy entertaining the other guests."

Bryan was Isabella's older brother and it was no secret that he was still trying to pursue Megan after years of rejection. And Megan didn't like it one bit. Although, she never talked about it with Bryan, she had always hoped that giving him her cold shoulder and refusing to talk to him would be enough hints. But it always seemed like they weren't, which frustrated her to no end. She knew she could've been upfront about it with him, but she always hated confrontation, especially when she's about to hurt someone in the process.

"Hate to break it to ya, babe," Autumn chimed in. "But you need a little fun, especially after that small dick's fiasco."

They both spun around to see what Autumn's pointing at. It was Megan's ex's table, Aaron Stanley. Most of his football teammates weren't looking but Megan and Isabella's movement must have caught the attention of the guy beside Aaron. They quickly looked away when the guy boldly winked at them.

Megan blushed furiously. "Can you be a little more discreet?"

"We'd been discreet for seven months now," Autumn said. "Stop pining—"

"I'm not pining."

"No, you aren't. You are slowing down the process of moving on by still thinking about it. Discreet, enough?"

Megan turned the pages in her textbook. "Not doing this with you right now," she sang.

Autumn huffed disapprovingly.

"Anyway," Isabella piped in. "Can you please at least think about it?"

Megan forced a smile. "Of course."

x.x.x

As the hours passed and it was time to go home, Megan was yet again reminded of their situation.

Bryan Harris was standing at the end of the hallway, his phone on his ear, clearly talking business with someone. His huge body—that was a result of endless hours in the gym—strained against his shirt as he turned around to see their group walking toward him. The corners of his eyes crinkled when he smiled in greeting.

He was a nice guy. Someone a parent would love to meet as their daughter's boyfriend. But there were some people you know weren't for you no matter how many chances you gave them and for Megan, it was him.

Isabella hugged him loosely as they reached him, but Bryan almost paid his sister no attention as he threw all of it on Megan's direction. "Hi."

There was a tense, awkward silence and Megan used it to examine the man. Bryan had a mile-wide jaw and vivid, forestry green eyes like his younger sister. He was built. Very, very built. Yet both of them were at eye-level. Megan liked her man a head taller than her.

That didn't matter, though. Her dislike for the man went beyond his physiques.

They first met when Isabella invited Bryan at Megan and her ex's first-anniversary party at the frat house. It was all done to improve his social status three years ago. She could remember that moment like it was yesterday. When Bryan was still an awkward, skinny guy who had lots of pimples and wore some prim glasses. When he still stuttered and now he was so sure about anything he says, annoying the shit out of her. But then, Bryan was a businessman today and he was supposed to be sophisticated. But for her, he appeared to be very much self-absorbed.

Megan rushed toward the mouth of the next hallway, excusing herself. "It's nice seeing you, Bryan. But I have to go."

Bryan frowned. "Wait."

She stopped, refusing to turn around.

Megan closed her eyes as she waited for his words in bated breath. "Has Isabella mentioned about the party?"

She abruptly turned around and smiled widely. "She did. I'm kind of not sure if I'm going. Have a lot of things to do in YPCA."

The furrow on his forehead deepened. "I thought your internship was over."

"It was. But I like it there, so I applied for a job." Not that it's any of your business. "Anyway, I really have to go. I'll let Isabella know if I'm going. Nice seeing you."

She may or may not have forgotten to say goodbye to her friends as she left in haste.

x Milktea or Coffee? x