Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

Wade

The blond motherfucker rose from his chair with a smile only an idiot could pull off.

Bryan's eyes went to Wade and then to the woman on Wade's side. He looked so much like his sister, it was terrifying. How could Megan spend four days a week with a friend who resembled the man she hated the most?

Megan's whole body turned to stone long before the words 'Harris & Co' tumbled out of his assistant's mouth. "It's a surprise," Wade said while Bryan was busy ogling his wife. "Mr. Harris."

Wade's phone vibrated in his pocket and a switch flicked on his brain. He smirked. He didn't like the idea of his wife being so hung up on Bryan's presence if he could do something about it. That was one of the sole reasons why she was in this deal—to get the creepy fucker out of her life.

As a man, Wade understood Bryan's fascination slash obsession with Megan. Aside from the fact that his wife was hot— she's smart, compassionate, quick-witted and driven. She was also fun to be with and was always game for anything. A man would want and need a companion and not just for intimate measures.

The only things he didn't like about her was she took two hours to paint her face, style her hair and choose an outfit. Sometimes longer. Also, she was emotional and she liked to shorten words when they were speaking through email or texting. It's understandable. You can't like everything in a person you don't intend to keep. If that does happen, you might want to look over your shoulder or think things over, because you are breaching dangerous territory that warranted unwanted emotions.

Wade shook Bryan's hand. Megan who hadn't said anything smiled weakly at him. To Wade's surprise, Bryan didn't offer his hand or a kiss on the cheek. He assumed Megan didn't as well when her body turned a little lax.

"I've heard the news," Bryan said as they walked into the office. "Congratulations to the both of you. Bella told me you didn't mention getting married. You guys run to Vegas to elope?"

Wade guided Megan to the sofa where they all sat. A faint blush on her cheeks told him she's recalling what he said in the elevator earlier. He pretended to straighten his pants while trying to click something. The plastic remote pulsed under his palm just as Megan began to squirm uncomfortably on her seat. She turned to him and narrowed her eyes, her lips thinning.

He ignored her. "We did. We kind of hit it off after your birthday party and decided we can't live without each other." What a load of shit. He pressed the heel of his palm again and Megan groaned a little too loudly on her seat. "It was fast, I know. You okay there, honey?"

Her forehead was covered with a thin sheen of sweat and Wade struggled to keep his face straight. "Do you guys want some coffee?" She stood. "I can get down—Ohh!"

Her half body bent down as Wade abruptly pressed the button when she stood. He fought hard to contain his laughter but a chuckle broke off, which he concealed with a cough when Megan threw daggers at him. Bryan, who hadn't said a word, stood with her and put a hand around his arm. Concern etched on his features. And Wade didn't know if he should warm up to him or punch him for touching his wife.

"Are you all right?"

Megan opened her mouth but nothing came out. Then she retrieved her arm. "I-I'm fine."

Wade could almost drown with the obvious vulnerability of his wife with the little interaction. He hadn't come up and talked to his wife properly about her relationship with Bryan and he told himself that he should address the subject the minute Bryan get out of here.