Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Megan

"Steak, huh?"

She looked up from her plate to find her husband watching her closely. His dark hair hung lankly over his smoothed forehead. They were messy as if he ran his long, calloused fingers over those silk strands constantly while talking over the phone, his shoulders weighted by deals having gone out of order. But those shoulders were strong to prevent them from pushing him down. After those calls and endless meetings, he'd wrapped everything up like nothing ever happened.

His vibrant blue eyes wore gold specks around their irises. They were the color of the ocean and from their wild depths and impenetrable stance, no one could mistake that they were as deep and seen greater miles away than his age.

She swallowed her food as her gaze traced the veins bulging on his sexy forearms. His sleeves were rolled to his elbows, his strong hands gripping the utensils softly. "My mom said you could never go wrong with steak."

A slice of warm indulgence graced his mouth. "That's true. And this is good, but wait until you taste mine."

She giggled, her stomach fluttering shamelessly. "Thank you. That's the nicest thing you said to me so far." She took a sip on her wine. "Looking forward to it."

He didn't respond. He just smirked and continued digging on his food.

Minutes later, they finished eating. Megan, as an attentive wife, put everything on the sink then rinsed the plates thoroughly before putting them on the dishwasher. Wade remained on his seat. He was looking at her but Megan could sense that he wasn't actually seeing her.

He was caged in his own thoughts. He was sitting stiffly in his chair, drumming his fingers on the kitchen counter like he always did when he was bored or lost in his own depth. His mouth was in a thinned line. His posture unmoving.

"Would you like me to refill yours?" she asked as she poured herself a glass of red wine.

He didn't answer the question. "You are taking this calmly."

She placed the bottle down softly. She could feel those impassive eyes kissing her skin, watching her every move. She brought the wine to her lips, drowning the content with one gulp. "How do you want me to act?"

She was dreading this moment. She was never a fan of sleeping with a man she hardly knew. Not a fan of one-night-stand or no-strings-attached sex. Tonight, her husband swore that he would delay the inevitable no longer and despite the twenty-four hours he'd given to her to make herself ready, she was still far from it. This was a big step for a contractual marriage. She was going to lose her mind.

Wade leaned on the counter, his large hands clasped together. She didn't look at him. "You told me this is new to you. The marriage must've turned your life in a complete 180 degrees. Yet you sat here with tranquility while devouring the steak like everything is okay."

She sighed. "Everything is fine, Simon. Why? Did you think otherwise? Would I sign the contracts if it wasn't?"

"I don't know. But I could hear you thinking. That it's finally dawning on you that signing and talking about things were far different, than actually being here and waiting for everything to happen."

Megan's grip tightened on the stem of her glass. Wade wasn't wrong. Even when she tried hardest to appear calm, she was a wreck on the inside. She was thinking of every possible scenario that was going to happen later. What was exactly going to go down? Would he tie her? What sex toys would he use on her first? Was she going to breakdown once he penetrated her?