ONE

Late at night, there were sirens. I saw blue and red lights flashing through my windows, and I expected them to pass by. To get duller and for the loudness of it all to fade into the darkness. When it didn't, I got up to see which of our seemingly perfect neighbors had gotten in trouble, the first people in the neighborhood to have the police at their door.

All the tiredness immediately flooded out of me when I realized it was us.

I spun around and bolted out of my room, heading down the stairs. The closer I got to the front door the louder everything became. I could hear the sirens clearer than ever, could feel the cool air sweeping in from the open door, and I could hear my mother's sobs, see my dad's tears. I was so confused. My mom turned to me, her eyes widening. "Eleanor." And before I could ask her what was happening, why my sister wasn't awake yet, she collapsed to the floor and my dad went down with her, trying to console her. 

The cop that was previously on the doorstep signaled to someone outside and the noise of the siren was cut off, and everything seemed eerily silent. I was surprised I couldn't hear Josie's loud snoring from the sudden quietness. Maybe she was awake now. 

"Ma'am." The officer cleared his throat, getting my attention. I turned to look at him. "Are you related to a Josie Cait?" 

I nodded. "She's my sister." 

The officer nodded and swallowed hard. "I'm afraid we have some bad news."
I shook my head and scoffed a little. "Let me guess. She got into a little too much trouble?" I couldn't help but smile a little. Josie was always getting into trouble with our parents. Sneaking out, trying cigarettes, Josie would go for it. She lived on the wild side, but I was worried this time maybe she'd taken it too far. 

"Um, miss-" 

"Elle," I interrupted. 

"Right, sorry. I'm Officer Caldwell. Anyway, your sister Josie..." the officer paused to run a hand over his face. "I'm, sorry miss. She's dead." 

"No," I whispered. "She's not dead."

"I'm sorry," the cop said again, and then I wasn't really sure of what happened next. I don't know how long it was until he left, how long until my parents went to their room, how long until I went to Josie's. 

I don't know how I ended up under her messy covers. Her scent was intoxicating, the only thing I could smell. 

Josie wasn't dead. 

I don't know how long it took me to stop crying, how long it took until I fell asleep surrounded by Josie.