VIII

Mark was in trouble, real big trouble.

Johnny had slapped him across the face when he and Donghyuck came out of the water naked. He scolded them endlessly.

"What do you think you're doing with the son of our neighbour territory? If Jaehyun wanted he could declare us war for you assaulting his son! Damn Mark. Have you even used your brain in the last 24 hours?"

Mark bowed onto his knees in front of Johnny and Jaehyun later that evening.

"I'm very sorry, Alpha Jung. I don't know what came over me. I'm not familiar at all with these kind of instincts. I've never experienced anything like that, please have mercy on our pack."

"Stand up and look into my eyes." Mark did just that hurriedly wanting to appease the situation.

"Will you court him properly?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you serious about my son?"

"I'm sorry I don't know what you mean..?"

"So he's just fun to you?! You don't want to mate my precious son?!"

"I- Uh..."

"Jaehyun, please. Mark has been asexual since he presented. He's clueless about mati-" Johnny tried to whisper as explanation but Mark heard and sent him a pointed look for discussing something private like that.

"Shut up, Johnny." Jaehyun eyed Mark with seething displeasure. "I heard only good things about you kid. But you're a disappointment. As if I'd let my son ever mate someone weak like you. He needs a strong alpha who can keep up with him. You're just like a runt."

"Jaehyun! Don't talk about Mark like that!" Johnny had always seen Mark as his own son and what Jaehyun said was unacceptable.

"Johnny... It's alright. For the pack..." Mark whispered dejectedly, cutting Johnny off.

"I understand, Alpha Jung." Mark bowed again showing a glimpse of his neck in addition. Clear display of submission.

Jaehyun rose an eyebrow in surprise at Mark calming the angry Johnny down but then snorted.

"Are you even an alpha?"

"I am, Alpha Jung. Presented at thirteen season cycles."

Jaehyun had then both eyebrows furrowed.
"Nonetheless... You are not allowed to be seeing my son anymore. Don't talk. Don't meet up. And if I even see you stealing glances at him, I will personally fight you."

"Completely understood, Alpha Jung. I will take my leave now." Mark acknowledged his pack alpha with a nod and left the meeting hall.

Once outside he could finally breathe again but his breath got stuck in his throat when he smelled Haechan's scent close and soon felt him cover his eyes.

" Guess who!"

"Donghyuck. I can't talk to you anymore." Mark said in a weak sad voice removing the hands from his eyes and turning to look at Haechan.

Haechan's beautiful smile fell into a hurt facial expression.
"What why?"

"Your father kind of hates me and wants me to never talk neither even look at you again."

"Then let's just meet up secretly, Minhyung. We could still have time with each other." Haechan said with a hopeful sweet gaze.

"They would know. Your father isn't the leader of the huge Jung territory for nothing. They would find out and I would risk the safety of my pack and I can't do that. I'm sorry, Donghyuck. Maybe our friendship wasn't meant to be."

Haechan realised that when Mark said all those things he hadn't once looked into his eyes.

"Look at me while saying you don't want to meet anymore."

"It's not about what I want. If I said that I would've lied. I just can't. I'm sorry, Donghyuck. I've really liked our day together. Sadly it won't be any longer than that."

And with that Mark left to patrolling duty.