TWELVE

When the phone he hadn't touched in ten years began to ring, Death panicked. Had he given anyone his number? How did that phone even work anymore?

"What in the holy hell is that God forsaken noise?" Lucifer complained, lazily lounging in his chair by the fire. Or, one of the fires in the house. He paused. "That's not what I think it is, is it? Is that a PHONE?!"

"SHUT UP LUCIFER!" Death yelled, his hands shaking as he hesitantly picked up the device. The contact photo that sprung out at him was of a little girl, the name Malea standing out.

Death was really confused, so befuddled that he accidentally let it go to voicemail while he pondered answering it. "Fuck."

"Oh, well I guess I should have known you really weren't real. Hoping against hope I guess. But, uh, I should hang up now-"

Somehow Death was able to get it off voicemail and he spoke. "I'm real, Malea."

"...Dean?"

"Yeah, princess." It felt so good to hear her voice again, talking to him.

"Y-you're real? This isn't some kind of prank, right?"

"This isn't a prank, I promise."

"Uh, ha, wow, uh, hi I guess! It's been a long time since we've talked."

"Yeah, it has."

"Um, uh, so how've you been?"

"I've been alright. I hope you have been too."

"Oh, definitely! I'm a sophomore in high school, I have a three point eight GPA and all that stuff."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that."

"I, uh, wanted to make sure you were real before I, uh, told you this."

"What?"

"I remember everything. I think hearing your voice again brought some of my memories back. I remember that you were the one that killed my brother."

"Yeah..."

"Who're you talking to?"

"Lucifer, shut up."

"I remember him too. Say hi to him for me, please?"

"Fine. Malea says hi!"

Lucifer fell off his chair, causing Death to wince. "SHE WHAT, SHE ACTUALLY CALLED YOUR ASS AFTER ALL YOU DID?!"

"Real confidence booster."

"Dean. Or whatever your name is. I, um, damn this is harder than I thought..."

"What is it? You can tell me anything."

"I-I know. I just wanted to tell you that I, I forgive you."

Death was stunned into silence by this proclamation. So was Lucifer, his jaw on the floor.

"A-And I want to reconnect with you. Talking with you all those years ago, those were the happiest months of my life. And I, I missed you."

"Holy shit, say yes you motherfucker!"

"I missed you too, princess. But are you sure you want to do this?"

"Don't question it!"

"Yes, I'm sure. I want you in my life."

The smile on Death's face might as well have illuminated the room with how bright and happy he was. "If you want me, your wish is my command, princess."

Malea giggled slightly. "That is what I want."

"Then I'll make it happen."

"MALEA?! DID YOU FINISH YOUR HOMEWORK YET? LANDON WANTS TO HANG OUT!"

"YES I DID MOM! I'LL BE RIGHT DOWN! I'm sorry Dean but I have to go. I'll talk with you later?"

"Sure thing, princess. Have fun."

"Will do! Bye."

"Bye."

CALL ENDED