Interlude II

From that day on, Malea never heard from Death again. The next full week, her only comfort was in her new mother, father, and Landon.

Landon especially made things better. He was her age, he was sweet, and he would never hurt someone close to her. He wouldn't break her heart.

The whole time, everywhere she went, Landon was there for her. At home, school, and anywhere in between.

He became her rock, and she his. They spent every moment of every day together as they grew older. Both their families thought of both as their own, teasingly talking of a future marriage.

Malea never took it seriously. The only person who was on her mind, day and night, was her childhood friend. Some days, she thought he had been real. But he hadn't been, he was a figment of her imagination.

And he would always be that, and only that. Imaginary.

▪ ▪ ▪

However, what Malea never realized was that Death was always watching her. He never let anything bad happen, but for the most part stayed out of her life.

He knew one day soon, Landon would profess his love for her. He was preparing for that mental break because as the years passed, and Malea grew more beautiful, he fell for her more every day.

The worst part about being in love with someone is when they don't remember you exist. When you have to live in the shadows their entire life. When you witness every single thing she ever accomplished. But she didn't know you were there at all.

All Death could ever want for Malea was true happiness. In whatever shape or form it came. Probably not from him, so he wouldn't hope against  hope that it could be. It would never happen.

So Death was content to watch over her in the shadows of her life, never letting her know he was there, but always showing he cared.

He was content with doing the dirty work in the dark, so that he could bring her the light.

▪ ▪ ▪

One day, teenage Malea was scrolling through her contacts in her phone when her finger paused on one.

Dean

Her finger hovered over the name, quivering. She thought she had deleted his contact information from her phone. She thought she was done with the imaginary man that haunted her every thought.

With lingering hesitation, Malea pressed the call button.

And it began to ring.