FIVE

Death stared at the phone screen with shock. Since Malea had already called that day, he was surprised her contact photo had sprung onto the screen at this late hour. But he answered nonetheless.

"Malea? Why ar-" Before he could finish his sentence, Death heard Malea sob. "What's wrong, princess?"

"Mommy and Daddy are fighting! I'm scared, it's never been this bad!"

"I can hear them. Have you tried to drown them out?"

"Yeah, but they just keep getting louder! I don't think I'm going to get any sleep tonight."

"What helps you sleep, Malea?"

"Um, I sleep really good when mommy sings to me. She has a nice voice."

"How about I sing to you? It might not be the same, but it's something right?"

"Okay. Can you sing soft kitty?"

"The fuck is soft kitty?"

"Language. It's a song from the Big Bang Theory, mommy and I watch it together!"

"Oh, that one. Alright, ahem. 🎶 Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr.🎶"

"Hehe, you sing really bad, Dean! Hehe!"

"Thanks Malea, I try."

"Can you sing another on-"

Suddenly there was a high pitched feminine scream from Malea's end, causing both of them to stop talking as they listened.

"JUST FUCKING DIE BITCH!"

"Dear God."

Another scream cane through the phone, and Malea's sobs grew louder.

"M-mommy is getting hurt!"

"Malea, I need you to go into your closet and hide, Alright? We won't be able to talk there, but you need to keep me on the line."

"Okay."

Malea shuffled towards her closet, only to scream as her door quaked.

"OPEN THIS DOOR!"

"Don't do it Malea, get to the closet!"

Malea screamed again as he continued to pound on the door, but quickly lunged into the closet, shutting the door behind her and hiding behind a pile of clothes in a corner.

Suddenly, the pounding stopped as the door slammed open. "Where are you, you little brat?" Her father seethed.

Death would never admit this to anyone else, but at that moment, he was scared for Malea's life. When he heard heavy breathing, Death knew he needed to get there. And fast.

"Found you."

Crunch
CALL ENDED