"Can't stay away from me, can you?" I asked, teasingly.

Lexi snorted. "Get over yourself," she automatically replied and bended to wash her hands in the Creek.

"I—" I started to say but Lexi caught me off.

"—already know that come back line so you can spare it," she said.

I laughed. How adorable. I was training my Pumpkin well.

And then just like that she came up to me and sat beside me. "Can I ask you a question?"

Only if the question is will you marry me. But I actually replied, "It's a free country."

"What's the deal with Stacey? Because seriously ever since that little incident at the library she's been scowling at me like I was some kind of pariah and now she found it trivial to announced me that she had sex with you."

I laughed again because how could I not? What should I tell Lexi? Stacey hates you because I said your name when I should have said hers? There was no way this was going to end well for me if I told her this. So instead I went with, "How should I know how that strange head of hers works? I don't know maybe all that bleach in her hair got to her brains."

I was throwing Stacey under the bus, but I didn't care. She was using me, by telling everyone we slept together because she thought it would bump her up in the popularity scale. Stacey had never really cared about me, just about my status.

"You should know the answer because meaningless sex is your specialty," Lexi answered, "And you seem to understand well the mind of those bimbos."

But of course... I wondered what rumours about me she had heard and what rumours she believed were true. Sure, a couple of years ago, before the accident I had slept around a few times. But in the last years, aside from random make outs here and there I hadn't been banging everything in sight, as everyone implied. It was too much hassle. "I'm going to take that as a compliment."

"You shouldn't, you use girl for your own pleasure," she replied, a little appalled.

Ha! As if. Sex hadn't been about pleasure most of the time, it had almost always been about forgetting for me. How could Lexi know that though? "Hey I'm as much as a victim than everyone else."

"Yeah right," she said, unaffected..

Not surprising. "I mean it," I pressed, "Women just use me for my rugged good looks, hard tanned muscular body, and large penis. Sometimes I just cry myself to sleep, craving for a hug in the morning. You know, I just want to be loved."

By you. I just want to be loved by you.

She couldn't see that in my eyes though, because she snorted and said, "Want me to cry a bit for you?"

"I just wanted to point out the fact I'm a human with feelings too you know," I said, a little amused, because the alternative was to start crying and that was probably a bad idea.

"No, you're a jerk filled with hormones."

I snorted and said, "Ouch!" but laughed. Again, what else could I do?

But then Lexi wasn't looking at me anymore, she was just staring around a little emptily and there was just something in her eyes...

I should have seen it earlier. This conversation had nothing to do with me. She was insulting me, but she wasn't really. She wanted to be distracted. Something was wrong, more so than usual.

"What's bothering you?" I asked softly.

"Huh?"

"Something's obviously bothering you," I pointed out.