Chapter 2- Breaking The News

Brianne called her parents and invited them to my house for lunch with my parents and I. They accepted right away because her parents seemed to take every chance they could to see Cody. Ever since Mom went into rehab and dad was constantly away for work they had pretty much adopted us.

   An hour later we were all sitting down to a lovely lunch of soup and sandwiches.

   "Thank you so much for inviting us to lunch Tanya!" Brianne's mom beamed.

   "Yes," my mom glared at me, "You could have at least informed your Father and I about the invitation." That was my mother for you, completely unstable. Bree's mom seemed to pick up on my mother's mood and quickly changed the topic.

   "So what have you girls been up to lately with your band?" She asked cheerfully

   "Umm, mom the band kinda broke up. The other girls quit, it's only me and Tanya left." Brianne muttered. "But anyway, that's not why your all here." she continued, grinning widely.

   Both pairs of parents raised there eye brows, "Is that so?" Bree's father asked, "Well tell us why we ARE here girls." My dad pressed.

   "Well, Brianne and I were accepted to UAL!" I screamed I throwing my arm around my friend's shoulders.

   Brianne's POV.

   Both our parents stayed silent for a few moments, staring at us and pondering what we just told them. "Girls, you were accepted to collage!?" my dad said jumping out of his chair and wrapping us in a hug. "That's great news!" my mom said with a huge smile growing on her face. "I'm so proud of you both." Tanya's dad said joining the group hug.

   Tanya's mom stayed seated, staring at the floor. What's wrong now? I thought; isn't she happy for us? For her own daughter?! Apparently not...

   "If you think I'm going to stand for this, your wrong." Was all she said.

   Cody's eyes widened again and he backed out of the room. What's up with him? I could slowly feel the tension building in the room, and I knew something bad was about to happen. My mother felt it too and looked cautiously at Tanya's mom.

   "Mom? What's wrong? Aren't you happy for us?" Tanya asked carefully.

   "No...HONEY," she spat, "I'm not!"

  Oh no, this is not happening, they said she was healed. I thought dismayed.

   Tanya's POV.

   "No...HONEY," she spat, "I'm not!"

   What was wrong with her? This was my life's dream! And she's not even happy for me! Her own daughter!

   "Mom, this is the best thing that's ever happened to us. Why aren't you happy? If anything you should be glad you don't have to worry about two children anymore!" I protested.

   "You just don't get it do you?" she hollered, the room had gone silent but she didn't seem to notice and if she did, she didn't care. "Your leaving me to go off to some school in England for god's sake! Your leaving me to take care of your bratt of a brother ALL BY MYSELF!!!" she screamed.

   "Hey, hey, hey, sweetie, can we talk about this?" My dad stepped in, "In private."

   With that he led her out of the room, and I plopped down on the couch very overwhelmed by this strange turn of events.