Chapter 189: Duke's Dark Dealings

Start from the beginning

     It'll be done in a few minutes, I told Thérèse, seeing them begin to settle down. Then Kiki will deal with the actual legal rules and stuff for his actual trial with the kingdom. And no, he won't be able to slip out of it. My familiar is very thorough.

     Can I...

     Don't they need you?

     They're just going to sleep.

     Lady Lilly does not look ready to sleep. Shall I-

     Please.

     And the lady begin to drift off while sitting on the bed with her daughter in her arms, Thérèse easing her down to sleep next to Milo already passed out and beneath the covers where he'd been tucked.

     "Here you go-"

     "Martin."

     "Thérèse."

     "You're coming as well?" the maid asked the butler, stepping forward behind me to scoop me up, nonchalant about it.

     "I am," Martin nodded, making sure his gloves were tight enough. He always looked impeccable, setting the standard for the house inside and out. "Now, Young Miss, where are we going?"

     "To the dukedo-...um, Kiki?" I blinked when she shook her head, interrupting me. "Excuse me...?"

     Come.

     But that place is...

     Do you really think teleporting a bunch of folks over to the dukedom at 14:30 in the morning is a good idea? We're trying to build up your good credit again after you've been gone for a year. You never did come to check out the situation in the capital, no matter how much I pushed for it...

     But you did tell me what was going on...and when I tried, I got tortured, so...

     Just get over here. We're holding your trial with him, and then we're having a private council to decide the date of his trial with Bytriste's legal system.

     I'm guessing the king is-

     Ecstatic to be able to see you, yes.

     But...I'm not going as Knight? I'm going as the Apostle of Order-

     Which, from now on, is Knight, yes. The proxy title belongs to Firea - not that anyone needs to know that besides the gods and apostles - and from now on, the new identity of Knight is the Apostle of Order. I've been working hard over here, Master, to keep these apostles in line when they keep trying to claim you work for the gods and manipulate the story of your relationship with the Church. Don't screw it up.

     T-Thank you? Um...seven days until your vacation starts, please don't break yet-

     You don't know how much I'm looking forward to it.

     Yes...

     "The castle."

     "The...castle."

     "We're going to the castle. As in, the one in Leonera. I told Kiki to just send them over to the dukedom, but apparently some idiots had a problem with that...so we're bringing the duke to them instead. Well, it's not that much of a change. At least he can be locked up faster, and they don't have to waste time transporting him."

     "Uh-huh..."

     "So, consensus?" I looked left at Thérèse, right at Martin. "Instant, or door?"