Chapter 180: A Familiar's Typical Day

"...I think it's about time I depart," Kiki smiled to break the silence, teleporting the giantkin's body inside. It was just like her master to forget to simplify things in that way, instead just leaving gravity magic on his body to alleviate the burden some. Always thinking ahead, but not far enough. "Have a good day, Sir Terrence, Thérèse-"

     "-Kiki."

     Kiki's eyes narrowed a bit, a smile coming up. Slightly...pleased, to hear her name from one who'd never called it before, but of whom she was very fond. Yes, at that moment, technically she was "Stream," but the difference between names didn't matter to those who knew she was a familiar.

     "Yes, Thérèse?"

     The brown-haired maid lifted her hand up to touch her forehead, appearing annoyed by the sudden turn of events. Batting her hair out of her face as the wind swept by, seeming to also snap out of their frozen shock the few knights that had been training in the background. "What just happened?"

     "..."

     You'll see.

     Thérèse shook her head. "Never mind, I guess I'll find out when I fight him next, won't I?"

     "And that's why you're my favorite. Would you like me to send you back to the duke's household now? It will be a while before Sir Frederick is awake."

     "He's going to be knocked out for a while?"

     "After 'what just happened,' I would be surprised if he was up on his feet within the next month."

     "Oh," Thérèse's eyes opened a bit more. Then, sulkily, she narrowed them towards the place a certain little redheaded...or, large redheaded...child...had stood before. "Naturally, she forgets her nursemaid when giving out gifts."

     Most people do not seek to be knocked out for a month.

     "All in due time, Thérèse. And Master already knows that you are highly capable of taking care of yourself. She is merely using this as an opportunity to learn a little more about the world, because Master is always trying to learn something, while at the same time testing a future...method."

     At least, Kiki held onto her elbows, pondering while looking off to the side. She is, though she doesn't know it yet.

     "You're just like her."

     "Hm?"

     The maid held up her hand as a new, chilling wind began to blow through, sweeping up the dark gray dress. Kiki was reminded of the smooth daggers her master had replaced for the maid, and how they'd all shattered in the fight against the knight. Mentally, she noted to replace them again, and stronger, since they surely wouldn't be able to stand up against Sir Frederick in the next fight. "Like master, like servant, I guess. And you don't have to send me back to the duke's yet, I have some business here I'd like to take care of first."

     "Alright then, I will, again, be on my own way." Papers crinkled in the familiar's hand. The budget meeting awaited, what was left of it, and some grumpy noblemen if they bothered to spite the king's aide with no regard for their future political stability. "I will come back later to check on Sir Frederick. Your Majesty, I apologize for my abrupt departure. There was an urgent matter to take care of."

     Golden eyes lifted up from the papers shuffling before his face. The dark rings that had accumulated over the past year, from a myriad of reasons, were considerably pronounced that day, the familiar noticed. Truly, like master, like servant, she subconsciously affirmed that it was not because she was running him ragged far more than her master could've claimed to do. "Was it-"