Chapter 189: Duke's Dark Dealings

"...well hello there," I blinked, staring down at the strange scene in my bed. "Did you get lost on your way to your room?"

     Mother stared straight up at me and the goddess that'd passed out while holding me in her death grip. Her eyes were groggy, tired from waking up to my sudden appearance, but she sat up fast rubbing her eyes when realizing I was there.

     "Fir-"

     "It's fine, I'll find another room-"

     Mother scooted up from the bed and leaned against the headboard, trying to figure out why I had a woman floating just above the bed with me. Then reached out to catch my skinny ankle, which I kicked up so she couldn't latch on, wanting me to stay.

     "Your words, Anasta...Mother. Just tell me to stay and I won't disappear. But please, touching is something I'd prefer to avoid at the moment, my apologies. It's a waste of magic to put a glamor on myself right now." And I wouldn't let her touch me otherwise. "Do you need something? I'm quite busy at the moment, and your glazed eyes tell me you'd quite like to go back to sleep."

     "..."

     "An...Mother, I just told you, I'm a bit busy. Goodbye now-"

     "Stay."

     Shouldn't have told her that, dang it.

     "Who is that?"

     "The woman that saved this household and in effect, your marriage. She'll probably be asleep for a while since I put a spell on her for it, so don't mind it if she sleeps for a while. I'm supposed to be there for when she wakes up, so I'm making sure that happens."

     Mother was asleep in my room...strangely enough. And Father's scent was everywhere there too. Did they just not...pay attention to the fact that...not only did they have their own rooms, they also had one they could share to be together...one that wasn't my room...

     ...whatever. I don't have time for this.

     "Teria-"

     I grunted, trying to pry her off. She was a goddess and therefore very strong, despite being the bottom rank, but still - far stronger than I was expecting, physically. That watered down giantkin appearance she took earlier was also weighing on my mind, because I doubted she was just copying me...not that she would know I recently came up with a form like that.

     Still.

     I had to go intangible just to make her slide off of me, hitting the bed. Mother jumped in shock when Teria started to roll off, reaching out to pull her back on.

     "Oh, good idea. Can you watch her for me? Thanks, I'll be back...maybe later today? Have a good night-"

     And it felt like old times, dumping some random information on Mother before disappearing off to somewhere else.

     "Martin, I've returned."

     "And in much brighter spirits, it appears," the butler turned around from his bookshelf, looking down at something for a few seconds longer before clapping it shut and holding the book at his side. Intending to take it with him...? "A law book, Young Miss."

     "But we're not doing this on mortal terms...? Well, not at first. Okay, yeah, we need it. Kiki."

     It's been done, Master.

     "Thérèse. Are they ready?"

     Yes.

     I snapped my fingers, sending them all to the room that Martin had some unfortunate maids on the night shift prepare.