Chapter 139: Un-Normal-ing Koraco

The steam rose upward from the cup hotly, showing off just how badly it would burn the one to sip it, but the lord didn't seem to care or register it. Neither did the others, after they were also served their own tea on a platter that hung precariously over the floor. There wasn't enough room on the already wide desk. It was a tempting idea to propose they move some stuff around, but it looked important. Besides, the input of a maid - however much she wanted to clean it up due to the nature of her job - was unnecessary.

No comments on the tea, if it was good or bad. No comments on the meal, after the lord picked up the cover and stared at it, then placed it back down as if he'd lost interest. No comments on anything, as Magaris waited for them to call upon her for anything else.

"Thank you for the tea, Magaris. It was a long journey, so I think it would be best if I left first, Sire. Please call upon me later."

Terrence was the first out. His cup clattered, empty, back onto the platter, as he passed by.

"Is there anything you need, Master Earl?"

If not, then Magaris was planning to leave as well. Frederick's eyes were on her and she was very uncomfortable. But then again, when was she ever not in his presence?

"Please draw a bath. You may leave."

She bowed, collecting the tea platter and replacing it with the food one. His eyes followed it, but he otherwise made no acknowledgement that it was there.

"Then I as well, Sire."

Frustration boiled in the maid, but it wasn't something to express. Her duties were fulfilled while marching out, opening the door after Terrence had closed it. His footsteps were always so light that he'd been gone in a flash, as always. The knight was nowhere to be found down either side of the long corridor.

She strode with her own long steps, trying to put some distance. The servants' staircase was right up ahead.

"Magaris."

"What, Sir Frederick?"

"..."

She didn't wait for him. If he stopped, then all the better for her. Less stress from a conversation that went nowhere.

"You're not going to say anything about it?"

"[Weightless Travel]."

He was right behind her, going down the stairs. The narrow door clicked shut behind him, and he turned to face one way in order to go down. He was too muscled, broad, and noticeable to fit properly through an entranceway meant for the unnoticed. His hand trailed along the ceiling, bringing a light dust off the top of it. Frederick swayed backwards to avoid a sudden sconce that appeared in the stairway spiraling quickly towards the bottom floor.

"There's nothing for me to say about anything. I'm just a maid."

"Your job is to serve."

"I don't need a knight to remind me of what I am to do and not to do."

"Keeping the master of the household healthy is in your job as well."

"You were away for two, almost three months. He got worse while he was with you. He brought no maids with him. How am I supposed to do anything about it?"

"Please, Magaris. Stick closer to him now that he's here."

"Again," she stopped, reaching over the trolley for the doorknob. It pushed open to reveal another empty hallway. "I'm just a maid. I serve, I clean, and I stay out of the way. What am I supposed to do about it?"